Olive Garden Stuffed Chicken Marsala
*This post may contain affiliate links. Read more »
Make a classic Olive Garden meal from the comfort of your home with this ultra flavorful Stuffed Chicken Marsala recipe straight from the restaurant itself!
Dear Olive Garden, thank you for this meal. And for giving me the recipe. The exact recipe. (Yup. This recipe comes straight from Olive Garden’s website, I kid you not.) When you taste it, you’ll believe me. I took my first (massive) bite of this Stuffed Chicken Marsala and could have sworn I was in the actual restaurant. Everything from the cheesy stuffing to the luscious Marsala wine sauce is spot on–My life is made. Pair it some Copycat Olive Garden Breadsticks and Salad Dressing and you’ll never need to leave the house again! (Would that be drastic?)
What is Chicken Marsala?
Well, Marsala is a dark and sweet dessert wine that is pretty close to sherry. So of course, cooking chicken in a Marsala wine sauce gives us, (you guessed it), chicken Marsala.
- For a non-alcoholic Substitute: 1/4 cup of white grape juice + 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract + 2 Tablespoons Sherry vinegar.*
- Madeira Wine
- Dry Sherry (not cooking sherry.) or, 1/2 Dry Sherry 1/2 Sweet Vermouth
- 1/4 cup dry white wine + 1 teaspoon Brandy *
*The portions of the above substitutions would need to multiplied to equal the 4 cups of Marsala wine that is used in this recipe.
You’ve got to try these:
- Olive Garden Alfredo Sauce
- Copycat Olive Garden Salad Dressing
- Copycat Olive Garden Zuppa Toscana Soup
- Copycat Olive Garden Chicken Gnocchi Soup
- Copycat Olive Garden Breadsticks
Make a classic Olive Garden meal from the comfort of your home with this ultra-flavorful stuffed chicken marsala recipe straight from the restaurant itself!
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- Salt/Pepper to taste
- ½ cup olive oil
- ½ cup smoked shredded cheese provolone or gouda
- 8 oz. mozzarella cheese shredded
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese grated
- ½ cup breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon fresh garlic minced
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes crushed
- 2 Tablespoon sun-dried tomato flakes (drain first if in oil)
- 3 green onions thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1 yellow onion sliced into strings
- 4 cups Marsala Wine
- 8 oz. heavy cream
- 12 oz. button mushrooms thinly sliced
Combine all stuffing ingredients together in a bowl and set aside.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Butterfly the chicken by slicing the side of the thickest part of each chicken breast to create 2 lobes.
Lay the chicken down, covering the top with wax paper. Pound it gently until it’s thinned to 1/4 - 1/2 inches thick.
Place ¼ of the stuffing inside of each of the chicken breasts. Coat the outside of each chicken breast with salt, pepper, and then the flour.
Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Place each chicken inside of the skillet and cook until each side is a nice golden-brown color.
Remove the chicken and place it in a baking dish. Bake it for 15-20 minutes, or until the inside is cooked through.
Within the skillet where the chicken cooked, add the onions and scrape up the chicken drippings, letting the onions cook in them for about 2 minutes. Add the mushrooms and continue to Sautee until the onions are translucent, about 5 minutes.
Deglaze the pan by adding the wine and bringing it to a light bubble. You’ll want the wine to reduce by half. As you continue to cook the sauce and as the onions caramelize, the sauce will continue to get more and more brown and delicious.
Temper the heavy cream by heating it in the microwave for 20 seconds. Slowly pour it into the pan and bring it to a light bubble, reduce the heat to low and heat for 5 more minutes, then remove it from heat.
Once the sauce is rich and brown, serve it over the chicken and with mashed potatoes!
The original Olive Garden recipe calls for 2 chicken breasts. i increased this to 4 as there is too much sauce and stuffing for just 2 🙂