Smashed Red Potatoes
These crispy red smashed potatoes are brushed with olive oil and seasoned with my grandmother’s spice mixture. They are baked to golden perfection and topped with a sprinkling of Asiago cheese.
I have so many questions about the way lunch works in school cafeterias nowadays. I’ll start with two of my most burning questions. 1.) Do they still call it “hot lunch” if you eat the lunch at school? 2.) Do they have baked potato day?!
Baked potato day was a weekly thing at my middle school, and it was magnificent. A big ol’ baked potato topped with broccoli cheese sauce, oh man, it was heaven on a tray. I would devour the entire thing, including the skin, which the kids thought was weird, but my love for potatoes out-ruled what the other kids thought of me.
Since my love for potatoes runs so deep, I’m surprised that it took me this long to post this smashed red potato recipe. The best part about it, other than the golden middles and crispy skins, is that I used my grandmother’s seasoning recipe on them. This is a coveted seasoning mixture in our family. It’s simple, but the portions of each of the spices and herbs noted in the recipe are important to ensure that the flavor is perfectly balanced.
Roast Potato Seasoning
A mixture of sage, rosemary, thyme, oregano, nutmeg, salt, and pepper makes a perfect roast potato seasoning. You can double or triple the recipe and use the excess to season chicken, pork, and vegetables.
How to make smashed potatoes
-Begin by boiling red potatoes of relatively equal size in water until fork-tender. Use cold water in the pot, add the potatoes, and then bring them to a boil. This ensures even cooking.
-Drain the water and place the potatoes on an oiled baking sheet. Use a potato masher and gently press them down to crack the skin and expose the middle. Brush with oil and add seasonings.
-Roast in a 450 degree oven for 15 minutes, sprinkle with grated Parmesan or Asiago cheese if desired, and bake for 5 more minutes. That’s it!
Calling all potato lovers!
- Easy Potato Salad
- Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes and Ham
- Baked Potato Slices
- Twice Baked Cheesy Bacon Ranch Potatoes
- Instant Pot Roasted Potatoes
Call me crazy, but I’d peg you to be a potato lover like me, so you should totally join my free email list, you’ll get just one weekly email with my latest recipes!
Red Smashed Potatoes
- 24 red potatoes, scrubbed clean
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup shredded asiago, optional
- 1 teaspoons Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoons rosemary
- ¾ teaspoons oregano
- ¾ teaspoons thyme
- ¾ teaspoons sage
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoons nutmeg
- Place the potatoes in a large pot of cold water. Bring the potatoes to a boil and stir in 1 teaspoon of salt for each quart of water. Boil for 20 minutes, or until fork tender. Drain.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Drizzle 1 Tablespoon of olive oil onto the bottom of 2 baking sheets and use a pastry brush (or paper towel) to spread it evenly.
- Create 4 rows of 3 potatoes and use a potato masher to push them down onto the pan. Use the pastry brush to brush remaining 2 Tablespoons of oil over each potato, then sprinkle with seasoning.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and sprinkle the tops with Asiago if desired. Bake for 5 more minutes. Remove from the oven, and serve on their own or with sour cream!