Smashed Red Potatoes
These crispy red smashed potatoes are brushed with olive oil and seasoned with my grandmother’s spice mixture. They are baked to golden perfection and topped with a sprinkling of Asiago cheese.
Smashed Red Potatoes
Since my love for potatoes runs so deep, I’m surprised that it took me this long to post this smashed red potato recipe.
I use my grandmother’s seasoning recipe on these poatoes. This is a coveted seasoning mixture in our family. It’s simple, but the portions of each of the spices and herbs noted in the recipe are important to ensure that the flavor is perfectly balanced.
- Red potatoes
- Olive oil– Only use enough to lightly coat the potatoes, too much oil can prevent them from getting nice and crispy.
- Parmesan or Asiago cheese.
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon Rosemary
- ¾ teaspoons Oregano
- ¾ teaspoons Thyme
- ¾ teaspoons Sage
- 1/8 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1/8 teaspoons Nutmeg
How to Make Them
-Boil red potatoes of relatively equal size in water until fork-tender. Use cold water in the pot, add the potatoes, and then bring them to a boil. This ensures even cooking.
-Drain the water and place the potatoes on an oiled baking sheet.
-Use a fork or potato masher and gently press them down to crack the skin and expose the middle.
–Brush with oil and add seasonings.
–Roast in a 450° oven for 15 minutes.
–Sprinkle with grated Parmesan or Asiago cheese if desired.
–Bake for 5 more minutes.
What to Serve with Smashed Red Potatoes
Get My Free Meal Plan!
Red Smashed Potatoes
- 24 red potatoes, scrubbed clean
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup shredded asiago, optional
- 1 teaspoons Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoons rosemary
- ¾ teaspoons oregano
- ¾ teaspoons thyme
- ¾ teaspoons sage
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoons nutmeg
- Place the potatoes in a large pot of cold water. Bring the potatoes to a boil and stir in 1 teaspoon of salt for each quart of water. Boil for 20 minutes, or until fork tender. Drain.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Drizzle 1 Tablespoon of olive oil onto the bottom of 2 baking sheets and use a pastry brush (or paper towel) to spread it evenly.
- Create 4 rows of 3 potatoes and use a potato masher to push them down onto the pan. Use the pastry brush to brush remaining 2 Tablespoons of oil over each potato, then sprinkle with seasoning.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and sprinkle the tops with Asiago if desired. Bake for 5 more minutes. Remove from the oven, and serve on their own or with sour cream!