Sometimes, I just have to republish past recipes that are super-duper good…Parmesan Crusted Tortellini bites totally fall under that category. I mean let’s see. Cheese-filled tortellini that’s fried to golden perfection and dipped in warm marinara sauce. Uhhhhh…. yeah. Republishing. The world needs another reminder about these bad boys. It was a great topic of conversation that the party too, as no one there had heard of doing this with tortellini- (I think they were extra intrigued too, as most of them were Italian.)
I love frying these up in my Le Creuset Cast-Iron Dutch Oven. (Which was an award that I won at work, I didn’t actually shell out the cash for it myself). But in case you do have one laying around, try using it for frying, it’s terrific. You can also use a deep fryer but where tortellini is a little bit more delicate, I would recommend using a deep pot on the top of the stove so they don’t get tossed around as much.
When it comes to the warm Marinara, my go-to brand is Rao’s. (Not paid to say that, I just happen to love-love-love them.)
I’ve always gone with Panko breadcrumbs for the breading because it really gives it that golden color and it has the most texture and crunch. I also love mixing grated Parmesan and parsley into the breading for added flavor!
The recipe itself is very easy, but throw a good show on the TV before you start the breading process, because that can become a little time-consuming since there so many itty bitty pieces to coat (3 times each: flour/egg/breadcrumbs.) My husband happened to text me a couple of funny YouTube clips during my breading process which was perfect 😉
Welp, that’s it for me! Enjoy this recipe, and be sure to join my email list for free new recipes right to your inbox! 😉
- 1 (9 oz.) package refrigerated three cheese tortellini*
- 1 cup oil (varies slightly depending on pan size)
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup Panko Breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan
- 2 Teaspoons of Parsley, chopped well
- ¼ teaspoon of red pepper flakes (optional)
- ½ cup marinara sauce
- Mix together the panko breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese, parsley, and red pepper flakes.
- Cook the tortellini until it’s near al-dente. Drain, and coat it generously with flour.
- Dip each piece into the beaten eggs, and then into the panko mixture.
- In a high-walled skillet, pour enough oil to cover the tortellini completely, about an inch high.
- Heat the oil over medium heat and cook the tortellini for about 5 minutes on each side, until golden brown. You may have to do this in batches.
- Place on a paper towel, pat dry, and serve with warm marinara sauce!
Recipe Source: BudgetSavvyDiva.com