This easy make-ahead Everything Bagel Breakfast Casserole can be prepared up to 3 days ahead of time! It’s made with sausage, tator tots or hash browns, a delicious 3-cheese combo, and more!
Be sure to try my make-ahead freezer breakfast sandwiches and my Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole (Make-Ahead!) recipe next!
Everyone loves a good ol’ everything bagel (they’re the second most popular after plain) but when you throw it into a casserole with a loaded egg scramble and three cheeses, it becomes breakfast heaven.
Making this ahead of time is the best part; you wake up with that craving for a bagel and some eggs, and all you have to do is pop the casserole in the oven, grab a cup of coffee, and relax.
Ingredients for this Breakfast Casserole
- Everything Bagels– (Any kind of bagel will work). Fresh, lightly toasted bagels have the best flavor and texture.
- Tator Tots– Frozen hash browns, (shredded or diced), also work!
- Sausage- Other Options include turkey sausage or cooked and crumbled bacon.
- Half and Half- Heavy cream may also be used. (Milk can as well, but won’t be as creamy.)
- Bell Peppers- Onions may also be added
- Parmesan Cheese
- Cheddar Cheese
- Cream Cheese
- Dijon Mustard
- Cayenne Pepper- Optional
- Green Onions- Chives would work as well.
Additional Breakfast Casserole Ingredients
In addition to the bell peppers and sausage, you can also incorporate these ingredients:
- Sautéed or caramelized onions, mushrooms, spinach, garlic, and tomatoes.
- Other cheese options include pepper jack, Swiss, gouda, and mozzarella.
How Long Can You Refrigerate Uncooked Breakfast Casserole
- This uncooked breakfast casserole can be stored in refrigerator for up to 2-3 days prior to baking.
Freezing Breakfast Casserole
- Breakfast casserole can be frozen for up to 3 months.
- To reheat, allow it to defrost in the fridge overnight and bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes, covered.
Storing Leftover Breakfast Casserole
If you don’t plan to freeze the leftovers, they can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Try These Next!
- Join my free email list! You’ll get just one email a week with my latest recipes!
- Plus, follow me on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest. I love connecting with you. 😊
Did You Make This Recipe?
I would love for you to leave a rating and a comment below! How’d you do?!
Overnight Everything Bagel Breakfast Casserole
- 6 everything bagels, lightly toasted
- 8 large eggs
- 1 cup half and half
- Salt/pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/3 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ cup Parmesan, shredded
- 1 cup grated cheddar, divided
- 8 oz. cooked sausage links, diced
- ½ bell pepper, diced
- 8 oz. cream cheese
- 1 cup tater tots
- Green Onions, to garnish
- Break the bagels into bite-sized pieces and place into a buttered 9x13 casserole dish.
- In a large bowl, crack the eggs. Add the half and half, mustard, cayenne pepper, and salt/pepper. Whisk briskly for 1 minute.
- Pour the egg mixture over the bagel pieces, try to cover each one.
- Add the Parmesan cheese and ½ cup cheddar cheese to the casserole dish. Use a spoon to gently toss the casserole mixture.
- Cut the cream cheese into 14 squares.
- Distribute the top of the casserole with the cream cheese, sausage, bell peppers, and tator tots.
- Top with the remaining half of cheddar cheese.
- Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight. The longer it sits, the better/moister it will be.
- Bake, covered, at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.
- Remove the cover and bake for 15 more minutes.
- Let cool for 10 minutes. Serve with coffee and enjoy!
This is a great recipe as is or to use up items lingering in your fridge. The layering method is so alterable! I’ve used different meats, different cheeses, mushrooms, onions, flavored cream cheese spread, evaporated milk instead of half and half, and even egg substitute. The egg-soaked toasted bagels and cheese are the perfect base, then layer as you see fit. I have past-their-prime cinnamon bagels in my cupboard, so I’ll try a sweet version next.
I’m so happy you’re enjoying this one Karen! I agree, it’s easy to customize this one. Thanks so much for taking the time to comment and review!❤️
Very good. Will make again!!
I’m so happy to hear that Judy! Thanks so much for the great review!😃
Made this last night for Christmas Eve breakfast and it’s so good! The bagels soak up all that egg mixture and it’s just so creamy and soft. I wish I could post a picture. I will definitely make this again! And for other people too! Thank you!
Yayyyy! Such a good holiday breakfast! Thanks so much for the great comments and review!😃
Do the tater tots need to be cooked first? Or just use them frozen?
Hi Jamie, I add them in frozen! 🙂
So good! We make it all the time.
I’m happy to hear you’re enjoying this one! Thanks so much for the review!😍
Can’t wait to make this for a big family birthday week at the beach! Need to make it ahead, wondering if he freezing directions are for a cooked casserole or uncooked?
Hi Cindy! Those instructions are for reheating a cooked casserole that you’ve frozen or have frozen leftovers for. If you would like to assemble it and freeze prior to baking, that would work too! I would just cover and add one hour to the cooking time, then proceed as outlined in the recipe if cooking it from a frozen state. OR, you could let it thaw in the fridge overnight and then bake as outlined. You can freeze it right in the casserole dish and top it with 2 layers of foil. Enjoy your beach time- sounds fun!! -Stephanie
Instead of sausage links do you think cooked italian sausage not in the casing would work?
Hi Wenda! Absolutely!!! That’d be great! Sounds delicious, ENJOY!!! 🙂 -Stephanie
Made this for breakfast as we had a yard sale to set up and no time to cook. Oh.My.Gosh! Hands down the best breakfast casserole I’ve ever tried. This will be my new go-to for Christmas morning!
Hey Ashley! YAAYY you totally made my day!! I LOVE this one too!!! So happy you enjoyed it! -Stephanie
The Everything Bagel Casserole is the bomb dot com!!! I didn’t have tator tots and bell peppers, so I sautéed some onions in butter and added bacon to the dish, as well as Sharp Cheddar. My sister and I were getting impatient while the casserole was in the oven, and the kitchen smelled amazing!!! We will be making this recipe again. Thank you so much for sharing your recipe Ms. Stephanie.
Hey Shawnae! I’m SO happy that you enjoyed this casserole!! I couldn’t believe how delicious it was myself when I first tried it. I love how versatile it is, fun to experiment with! Thanks for taking the time to let me know what you thought of it, it made my day! Can’t wait for you to enjoy it again! -Stephanie
I love Everything bagels, more than that that I love breakfast casseroles. I have everything on hand except for Tater Tots, which I don’t really care for, can I use shredded hash browns instead? I would like to make this for my co-workers. We are always hungry in the morning!
Hey Laura!! You can absolutely make that substitution! Sounds absolutely delicious, I want to be your coworker!!! ENJOY!