Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole (Make-Ahead!)
This Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole has super creamy eggs, bacon (or sausage), and 2 kinds of cheese! It’s easy to make ahead of time and is perfectly freezer-friendly!
Tater Tot Casserole Ingredients
- Bacon– You could also cook and crumble 1/2 lb. breakfast sausage, casings removed
- Bell Peppers– Green blends really well in this casserole
- Sour Cream– The secret to extra creamy eggs
- Milk– or half and half for extra indulgence
- Feta Cheese– This blends really well into this casserole
- Cheddar Cheese– I love using Hot Habanero Cheddar Cheese for a kick!
- Tater Tots– Frozen
- Green Onions– To garnish
Optional Additional Ingredients Include:
- Cherry Tomatoes
- Sun-Dried Tomatoes
- Caramelized Onions
- Gruyere, Mozzarella, or Gouda Cheese
☝️ See how the top of the whisked eggs have a foamy/frothy top? Those are air pockets from vigorous whisking and will give you extra fluffy eggs, especially if baked right away.
- Assemble casserole as instructed, but wait on adding the frozen tater tots until just before baking.
- Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- Let it sit out for 10 minutes prior to baking.
Freezing Unbaked Breakfast Casserole
Yes, this is possible!
- Assemble the casserole (except for the tater tots). Cover tightly with foil, and freeze for up to 2 months.
- Let it defrost in the fridge overnight.
- Let it sit out for 10 minutes. Top with Tater Tots and bake!
- Leftovers should be stored in an airtight container in the fridge and are best if eaten within 3 days.
- Reheat leftovers in a 350° oven until heated through, about 20-25 minutes.
- You can also freeze leftovers for 3-4 months. I like wrap portion sizes in foil and store them in a labeled freezer bag.
- Let frozen leftovers thaw in the fridge overnight prior to reheating in the oven.
A Fun Way to Use up Leftovers
- Reheat, scramble it up a bit, and load up a flour tortilla for breakfast burritos!
Try These Next!
- Alton Brown’s French Toast
- Copycat Cracker Barrel Hashbrown Casserole
- The Pioneer Woman’s Blackberry Cobbler
- French Toast Roll-ups with Sausage
Did You Make This Recipe?
I would love for you to leave a rating and a comment below! How’d you do?! ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
- 5 strips bacon
- 1/2 cup white onion, diced
- ½ cup green bell pepper, diced
- Salt/Pepper, to taste
- 9 large eggs
- ¼ cup sour cream, at room temp
- ½ cup milk
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/3 cup feta
- 1 cup Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3 cups frozen tater tots
- 3 green onions, diced
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cook the bacon in a large skillet over low heat until crispy on each side.
- Set the bacon aside. Once cool enough to handle, roughly chop it.
- Reserve 1 Tablespoon of the bacon grease in the pan and drain the rest.
- Heat the onions and peppers in the bacon drippings for 3 minutes over medium heat. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Crack the eggs in a large bowl. Whisk vigorously with a fork or whisk to create a foamy consistency. These are air pockets that make the eggs fluffy.
- Beat in the sour cream and milk until well-incorporated. Season with salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper.
- Pour the egg mixture into a lightly greased 9 x 13 casserole dish.
- Sprinkle the feta over the eggs, then the bacon, onions, and peppers. Note: You may want to reserve a little bit of bacon to garnish the top of the casserole with.
- Top with grated cheddar, then with the tater tots.
- Bake uncovered for 40 minutes, until the tater tots are crisp.
- Let it sit for 5 minutes.
- Top with diced green onions, serve, and enjoy!
The Tater Tots will sink into the egg mixture slightly, (this is fine!)- I like to position some tater tots on top of others so that they peek through the top without sinking down!