Who doesn’t love a good ol’ casserole! Particularly one with broccoli cheddar anything. The gooey, cheesy goodness combined with broccoli, chicken, and rice with a golden brown crispy topping is enough to make you eat it right out of the casserole dish. And shoot… that’s exactly what I did. I literally didn’t take out a plate. (Hey, no one was around to judge me.) Why I’m admitting this to you now though, I don’t know. I have no shame. But I definitely have a love for cheesy casseroles.
I had no idea what I was going to make this weekend… but when I went to the store, I grabbed just two must-haves. (You guessed it.) Broccoli, and cheese. I knew I could muster something good with those things. Pshhh… I think I could live off of those things. You can’t beat the ol’ broccoli cheddar combo, you just can’t. They happen to serve as my favorite soup, baked potato topping, and casserole filler-upper. (…Filler upper?)
Now that fall is here, and winter is on the way, a good collection of savory casseroles is a must. I actually put some of the uncooked mixture in a Tupperware container and froze it to bake another day. It can serve as a great side-dish as well, a yummy pairing with some baked salmon maybe? 😉 Sounds like a meal to me!
- 2 large, (or 4 small) boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into cubes (uncooked)
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 cups broccoli florets (uncooked)
- 1 (10 ¾ oz.) can cheddar cheese soup
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ cup milk
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, separated
- 2 servings cooked white rice (equals ½ cup uncooked rice or 1.5 cups cooked)
- 1½ cups crushed Ritz crackers
- 1 Tablespoon melted butter
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Sprinkle the uncooked cubed chicken with paprika, salt, and pepper
- In a large bowl, combine the chicken, broccoli, soup, sour cream, milk, cooked rice, and ½ of the cheddar cheese. Mix until well combined.
- Pour into a casserole dish. Top with remaining cup of cheese.
- Mix the crushed Ritz crackers with the melted butter and sprinkle over the casserole. (You can also use French’s Crispy Fried Onions)
- Bake for 45 minutes. Check the top of the casserole occasionally and if it starts to get browner than you would prefer, cover it for the remainder of the cooking time.