Sausage and Rice – One Pot!
This Cheesy Sausage and Rice Recipe is easy to make in One Pot and is served Casserole style! Use Italian, Chicken, or Ground sausage and add in some Bell Peppers for color and crunch.
Sausage and Rice
I have a weakness for creamy, cheesy rice, and nothing beats the flavors in this sausage. I happened to use chicken Sausage with Roasted Peppers and Asiago, but you can use any kind that you want, even ground sausage will work!
Let’s get into everything you need to know so that you can get this one the table ASAP. Your family will love it.
The bottom of this post also contains recipe card with ingredients and full instructions.
- 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil, separated
- 11 oz. Sausage, see notes
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- ½ cup Yellow Onion, diced
- 2 cloves Garlic, minced
- 2 ½ cups Chicken Broth
- 1 ¼ cups White Long Grain Rice, uncooked
- 1 small Red Bell Pepper, sliced
- 1 small Green Bell Pepper, sliced
- 10.75 oz. Cream of Chicken Soup- try my homemade version!
- ½ cup Sour Cream
- ¾ cup Milk
- 1 cup Cheddar Cheese, shredded- I use Heluva Good! Sharp Cheddar. It melts really well.
- 1 pinch Red Pepper Flakes, optional
*Consider using unsalted butter and reduced sodium chicken broth/condensed soup if preferred.
How to Make It
Sear sausage in olive oil over medium heat to add color and texture. Remove and set aside. Add butter and onions to the pan, saute until softened. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
Add chicken broth and rice. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Cover tightly and cook for 10 minutes.
Add bell peppers and replace cover, refrain from stirring. Cook for 5 more minutes. Remove from heat and let sit with the cover on for 10 minutes to allow any rice on the bottom of the pot to release.
Return to low heat and add sour cream, milk, cream of chicken soup, and shredded cheddar. Stir to combine.
Add sausage and heat until warmed through. Serve!
PRO Tips for This Recipe
How to Prevent Rice from Sticking to the Pot:
- Place the rice in a strainer and rinse in cool water for 1 minute to remove excess starch, which will help to keep it from sticking.
- Adding 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the chicken broth prior to adding the rice.
- Don’t mix the rice while it cooks as this releases starch and makes it stickier.
- Make sure the lid is on tightly to prevent steam from escaping.
- Let the rice sit for 10 minutes after steaming to allow any rice on the bottom to release.
- Chicken, Ham, Ground Beef, or Steak all make excellent meat choices in this casserole.
- Different types of rice may be used. Refer to package for liquid measurements and cooking times as this will vary. *Note: I don’t recommend minute rice as it is much sticker, less creamy, and less nutritious.
- Other vegetable options in include broccoli, asparagus, mushrooms, froze corn, peas, carrots, and more.
- Condensed cream of mushroom, cream of broccoli, cheddar cheese soup, or broccoli cheese soup can also be used.
Store in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months. This recipe does freeze and reheat very well for quick & easy lunches.
Try These Next
Get My Free Meal Plan
Tried This Recipe?
Leave a review, I love hearing your feedback! ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Sausage and Rice - One Pot!
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil, separated
- 11 oz. sausage, see notes
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- ½ cup yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 ½ cups chicken broth
- 1 ¼ cups white long grain rice, uncooked
- 1 small red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 small green bell pepper, sliced
- 10.75 oz. cream of chicken soup
- ½ cup sour cream
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes, optional
- Place the rice in a strainer and run it under cool water for 1 minute. This rids it of excess starch which will help to prevent it from sticking to the bottom of the pot when cooked.
- Shred the cheese and set aside, it will melt better if it’s not cold when added. Avoid packaged shredded cheese as it contains cellulose which prevents it from melting well.
- Measure out remaining ingredients prior to cooking.
- Add 2 tablespoons olive oil to a large pot over medium heat. Slice the sausage and sear it on each side for color and texture. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Melt 2 Tablespoons butter and add the diced onions. Cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for one more minute.
- Add 1 Tablespoon olive oil to the pan along with the chicken broth. Run a silicone spatula along the bottom of the pot to lift the brown remanence from the sausage, which will give the dish more flavor.
- Add the rice. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer.
- Cover tightly and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the bell peppers and close the lid, don’t stir. It will release starch and make the rice stickier. Cook 5 more minutes.
- Turn off the heat and leave it covered. Let it sit for 10 minutes. Any rice left on the bottom will release during this time.
- Return to low heat. Add the cream of chicken soup, sour cream, milk, and cheese. Stir to combine.
- Add the sausage, and red pepper flakes. Stir and cook until heated through. Remove from heat and serve!
I sliced pre-cooked chicken sausage but you can use any kind of sausage that you want.
Condensed cream of mushroom, cream of broccoli, cheddar cheese soup, or broccoli cheese soup can also be used.
Other types of rice may be used, refer to package for liquid measurements and cooking times as this will vary.
Other meat options include chicken, steak, ground beef, and ham.