These crunchy, buttery sourdough croutons are tossed in Olive Oil and sprinkled with freshly Grated Parmesan cheese. They’re so easy to make at home and can be ready in just 15 minutes!
I don’t know about you, but I can’t have a salad without croutons. I love that crunch way too much. And nothing beats the flavor of a crunchy, perfectly seasoned homemade sourdough crouton. 🤤
This is a perfect way to make use of some older stale bread that you might have lying around, especially a nice crusty homemade loaf.
Best Bread for Homemade Croutons
-A loaf of crusty Artisan bread is perfect for making croutons, particularly if it’s about 3 days old.
Best Olive Oil for Croutons
-Make sure you use high quality extra virgin olive oil when making this recipe. Lucini olive oil is a high-quality brand that I like to use.
-For more information about picking the highest quality olive oil that you can, check these guys out.
Shelf Life of Homemade Croutons
-Homemade croutons made with Parmesan cheese can be stored at room temperature in an airtight container for 2-3 days.
–To extend the shelf life of homemade croutons, omit the Parmesan cheese and store for up to two weeks.
Homemade Salad Dressings
-The best way to enjoy these homemade croutons is to pair them with a delicious homemade salad dressing:
Try These Next!
Get My Free Meal Plan
- 1 loaf sourdough bread, 3 days old
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 4 Tablespoons Parmesan cheese, finely grated
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Freshly cracked pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cut the sour dough bread into bite-sized cubes.
- Place the cubes on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, garlic powder salt, and pepper.
- Use a large spoon to toss the cubes and evenly coat them in the oil and toppings.
- Spread the cubes around, leaving space around each one so that the edges can crisp up. Use 2 baking sheets if needed.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, until golden brown and crisp. (Mine were done after 10 minutes exactly.)
- Leave them on the baking sheet to cool. Once fully cooled, store them in an airtight container for 2-3 days.
- French Bread and Ciabatta Bread are also perfect for making croutons.
- To extend the shelf life of homemade croutons, omit the Parmesan cheese and store for up to two weeks.