This Classic Wedge Salad begins with a fresh slice of iceberg lettuce that’s topped with chunky blue cheese dressing along with crisp bacon, diced tomatoes, red onions, and shredded cheddar.
Be sure to try my Cheeseburger Salad (with Big Mac Sauce) next!
I think we tend to forget about wedge salad. I love making and serving salads, but rarely go for the wedge.
The funny part is that wedge salad happens to be topped with the most delicious ingredients! (One of which, is bacon. Bacon!) I think I need to start making these on the daily.
What is Wedge Salad
- Wedge salads get their name based on the wedge of iceberg lettuce that it’s served with.
- The flavor and texture of wedge salad is comprised of creamy blue cheese dressing, paired with crisp and crunchy bacon and sweet tomatoes.
- Additional toppings can include finely diced red onions and shredded cheddar cheese.
- Wedge salad gained popularity when Steakhouses began serving it. It’s still served in many steakhouses today! (Outback, anyone?)
How to Cut Wedge Salad
- To cut a wedge salad, begin by slicing the head of iceberg lettuce in half, then cut each half in half.
- You’ll end up with four quarters, one quarter per salad.
How to Wash Wedge Salad
- Dilute fruit/vegetable wash with water in a bowl as instructed on the bottle. Carefully lower the lettuce into the bowl and soak for a few seconds.
- Rinse the lettuce with cold water and pat gently with paper towels to dry.
What to Serve with Wedge Salad
- Steak. You can’t go wrong with the classic pairing of fresh wedge salad along with perfectly seasoned steak and some savory potatoes.
- Soup. Nothing beats the good ol’ soup and salad combo. My personal recommendations for this duo include:
Try These Next!
- Join my free email list! You’ll get just one email a week with my latest recipes!
- Plus, follow me on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest. I love connecting with you. 😊
This Classic Wedge Salad begins with a fresh slice of iceberg lettuce that's topped with chunky blue cheese dressing along with crisp bacon, diced tomatoes, red onions, and shredded cheddar.
- 1 head head iceberg lettuce
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes diced
- 1 small red onion finely diced
- 8 strips bacon cooked and crumbled
- ½ cup bleu cheese dressing
- ½ cup crumbled bleu cheese optional
- 3/4 cup cheddar cheese shredded
Cut iceberg lettuce into fourths.
Place each lettuce wedge on a plate, rounded side down. Drizzle each with blue cheese dressing and sprinkle with toppings.
Serve immediately and enjoy! You may also chill the assembled salads in the fridge for up to 30 minutes prior to servings.
Feel free to enhance this salad even further by adding any of the following ingredients:
Cucumbers, Peppers, Diced Hard Boiled Egg, Cheddar Cheese, Croutons, Avocado, Ham, and more!
This blue cheese dressing is a Copycat version of the one served at the Outback Steakhouse restaurant and pairs perfectly with wedge salad.
- 3 ⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 3 ⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1 ⁄2 cup blue cheese crumbled
- 1 ⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 ⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 ⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
Combine all ingredients in a small bowl until well incorporated. Chill for a minimum of 30 minutes prior to serving.
- Each serving is approximately 2 Tablespoons.
- The shelf life of this salad dressing varies, and is based on the most perishable component of what you added to it. Check the expiration dates on the ingredients you used for a better idea.
Salad Dressing Recipe Source: Genius Kitchen