Homemade Sloppy Joes
Once you try these Homemade Sloppy Joes, you’ll never use a can again! The tomato sauce has a perfect blend of sweet, tangy, and savory flavors. Your family will request this 30 minute meal every week!
Be sure to try my Sloppy Joe Casserole recipe next!
Homemade Sloppy Joes
I did some serious recipe testing to ensure that no ingredient overpowered another. (And that each ingredient was necessary. Trust me, everything is in perfect harmony.)
Some recipes call for as much as 3/4 cup of ketchup. I prefer to use tomato sauce, a little ketchup, and some apple cider vinegar for just the right balance of tomato flavor and acidity.
The yellow mustard adds depth of flavor, and the brown sugar adds a hint of sweetness, (but not too much). And of course, savory Worcestershire sauce balances it all out.
- Olive Oil
- Ground Beef- 85% lean
- Yellow Onions
- Garlic- Mince fresh garlic at home for best results
- Tomato Sauce
- Tomato Paste
- Yellow Mustard
- Brown Sugar
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Hot Sauce- Optional
Optional Additions include celery, bell peppers, and ground turkey or chicken instead of beef.
How to Make it
Brown the top and bottom of the ground beef prior over high heat before breaking it up and cooking the middle. The texture will be similar to that of a hamburger and it’s very good in Sloppy Joes.
Cook and crumble the beef and add the onions until softened. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
Add the tomato sauce and tomato paste.
Add the remaining ingredients and heat until thickened.
Don’t let the sauce reduce too much, especially if you’re going to reheat leftovers.
Serve with toasted hamburger buns.
Crock Pot Method
Prepare the ground beef, onions, and garlic on the stove top as instructed. Drain any excess grease as needed.
PRO TIP: I like to use this slow cooker as you can brown meat right on the stove top with it.
Add the meat to the Crock Pot along with all remaining ingredients. (Minus the buns.)
Cook on low for 2-3 hours, stirring occasionally if possible. Serve on toasted hamburger buns.
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Store in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 3 months. This makes a great freezer food. Defrost in the microwave or overnight in the refrigerator.
Microwave or reheat in a saucepan on the stove top. Optional: Add a little more tomato sauce and water or beef broth if you would like it saucier once reheated.
What To Serve with Sloppy Joes
Get My Free Meal Plan!
Did You Make This Recipe?
I would love for you to leave a rating and a comment below! How’d you do?! ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Homemade Sloppy Joes
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb. ground beef, 85% lean
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons yellow mustard
- 2 Tablespoons ketchup
- 1 Tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce, optional*
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 4 Hamburger buns, toasted
- Add the oil to a large nonstick skillet over high heat.
- Add the beef but don’t break it apart yet. Allow a dark brown crust to develop on the bottom of the meat, about 4 minutes. This gives it a hamburger-like texture.
- Flip the beef and allow a crust to develop on the reverse side.
- Once browned, reduce heat to medium-high.
- Add the onions and break the beef apart. Allow the beef to finish cooking through. Drain any excess grease if necessary.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add all remaining ingredients. And stir until heated through and thickened slightly. Don't let the sauce reduce too much, especially if you're going to reheat leftovers.
- Serving suggestion: Spread butter over the top and bottom of your burger buns and toast them on a griddle or large skillet prior to serving. This adds nice flavor/texture and prevents the buns from becoming soggy.
- For the Crock Pot: Prepare the ground beef/onions/garlic on the stove top as instructed above. Transfer to the Crock Pot and stir in remaining ingredients. heat on low for 2-3 hours, stirring occasionally if possible. Serve with toasted hamburger buns.
Feel free to top each with a slice of American cheese, or work some Velveeta cheese into the meat mixture itself!
Bell Peppers, Celery