These Taco Stuffed Peppers are a low carb dinner that’s ready in less than 30 minutes! They’re filled with seasoned ground beef, black beans, and diced tomatoes. Top them with sour cream and even Doritos, Fritos, or Tortilla chips!
Feel free to use ground turkey for a leaner option as well as shredded chicken.
Try my classic Stuffed Bell Peppers next!
Who doesn’t love a good Mexican night?! We’ve been eating taco stuffed peppers for years, and honestly, I never miss the shell. I’m all about the meat and cheese, what can I say!?
Let’s get into the fun stuff. The filling options. They are endless people!
See recipe card below for ingredient quantities and full instructions.
- Bell Peppers- Any color
- Tomato Paste
- Ground Beef
- Black Beans
- Diced Tomatoes
- Taco Seasoning
Other Taco Fillings
- Vegetables + Fruit: Tomatoes, Red Onions, Corn, Avocado, Jalapenos, Black Olives.
- Cheeses: Monterey Jack, Cheddar, Pepper Jack, Queso, Fontina.
- Other: Sour Cream, Rice, Cilantro, Guacamole, Salsa, Hot Sauce, Enchilada Sauce, Tortilla Strips, Fritos, Doritos, Pico De Gallo, Refried Beans.
Pro Tip! Substitute ground turkey or shredded chicken for an even leaner variation!
How to Make Taco Stuffed Peppers
Slice each pepper in half and use a paring knife to trace along the stem and remove it.
Place on a baking sheet. Cover with foil and bake for 15 minutes at 350°. Prepare the filling mixture while the peppers cook.
Stuff each pepper with the filling and top with cheese. Bake for 15 more minutes.
Bell Peppers Are Over 90% Water
This is the main reason we pre-bake the halved peppers for 15 minutes. You’ll likely be able to pour water out from the middle of the pepper that would otherwise have gone into your taco filling.
It also allows you to cook the ground beef while the peppers cook, which saves time.
Calories in a Bell Pepper vs. Taco Shells
- 1 whole medium bell pepper = 24 calories (or 12 calories for a h
- 1 Fried taco shell= 150 calories
- 1 Baked taco shell= 62 calories
- 1 (6-inch) flour tortilla = 90 calories
Calories Saved by Subbing 1/2 bell pepper
- 50 calories saved for each baked taco shell.
- 138 calories saved for each fried taco shell.
- 78 calories saved for each 6-inch flour tortilla.
…Taco stuffed peppers it is!
Try These Next
Get My Free Meal Plan
I’ve got a Free Meal Plan with 7 of my super popular recipes (complete with grocery list)! Sign up for my email list and I’ll send it over now along with weekly dinner recipes!
And follow me on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest!
Taco Stuffed Peppers
- 4 bell peppers
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 oz. packet Taco Seasoning,, equal to 2 tablespoons
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (15 oz.) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (10 oz.) can Rotel Tomatoes with green chilies, drained
- 1.5 cups shredded Mexican Cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Wash and dry the peppers, slice them in half. Remove the stems and the seeds.
- Place them (hollow side up), on a greased baking sheet. Cover with foil and bake for 15 minutes. Discard any excess water in the middle of the pepper.
- Meanwhile, brown the ground beef in a large pan over medium-high heat. Drain any grease.
- Add the diced onions and cook for 5 minutes. Add the Taco Seasoning, tomato paste, and garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add 3/4 cup water. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Add the black beans and tomatoes and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Scoop the taco filling inside each of the baked peppers. Top each with cheese. Bake at 350 for 15 minutes.
Made this tonight for dinner but vegan and it was delicious.
Nice job making it Vegan Shenica! Thanks so much for the great review!💖
We just ate this and I can’t wait for leftovers tomorrow, yum! I used ground turkey white rice beans and corn, I had no rotel but did have salsa and a can of mexican tomato sauce which I used instead, it was delicious, we had sliced avocado on the side. My belly is very happy right now. ☺
Yayyy! Happy Bellies are the best 😄 I’m so happy you get to enjoy leftovers tomorrow too! Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a review Patricia!💖