These spicy sausage balls come together with nothing more than cheddar, cream cheese, sausage, and bisquick! Make them ahead of time and keep them warm in the Crock Pot!
Be sure to serve these with a side of honey mustard sauce!
- Spicy Ground Sausage– Sweet can be used as well.
- Cayenne Pepper
- Hot Sauce
- Cream Cheese
- Cheddar Cheese
- Baking Mix– Like Bisquick
- Fresh Parsley– Optional
Coca Cola Glaze
- Coca Cola
- Brown Sugar
- Corn Starch
How to Make a Non-Spicy Version
-Omit the Cayenne and Hot Sauce
-Use Sweet Sausage Instead of Spicy
-Use Non-Spicy Cheese, like Cheddar
-Combine the sausage bite ingredients, roll into balls, and store in an airtight container in the fridge for 2 days.
-You can also flash freeze the unbaked balls for 1 hour. Toss them into a freezer storage bag for up to 3 months. Let them defrost overnight prior to baking.
-When you’re ready to bake them, simply place them on a greased baking sheet, bake as instructed, and prepare the Coca-Cola glaze as they bake!
Crock Pot Method
TIP: After preparing these, they can be immediately transferred to a Crock Pot and can be kept warm on low. You can also refrigerate them overnight and pop them into a Crock Pot on low the next day!
-Leftovers should be kept in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
-You can also freeze them for up to three months:
- To reheat, bake the frozen sausage balls in a 300°F oven, covered, for about 15 minutes or so until heated through.
Other Appetizer Ideas
- Perfect Fried Pickles
- White Cheddar Stuffed Mushrooms
- Sweet Cream Cheese Wontons
- Bacon Ranch Cheddar Cheese Ball
- Cowboy Queso
- Parmesan Crusted Tortellini Bites
Spicy Sausage Balls
- 1 lb. spicy ground sausage
- ½ teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese*
- 1 ¼ cups Baking Mix, (Bisquick)
- Fresh Parsley, chopped, for garnishing
- 1 cup coca cola
- ½ cup brown sugar, light or dark
- 1 Tablespoon corn starch
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Add all ingredients for the sausage balls to a large bowl. Use your hands to mix until well-combined. It takes a bit of mixing to accomplish this but eventually you’ll have one uniform mixture.
- Roll the sausage mix into 1-inch balls and place them onto greased baking sheets.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- While they bake,, combine the Coca-Cola and the brown sugar in a small saucepan and heat over medium heat, stirring continuously.
- Whisk in the corn starch. Increase the heat to medium-high to bring the mixture to a light bubble, then decrease the heat to medium-low. Stir occasionally.
- Remove the sausage from the oven and ensure that they area lightly browned. Bake up to five additional minutes if needed.
- Add the sausage balls to the Coca-Cola glaze in batches, ensuring that they are well-coated on all sides. Place onto a serving dish as you coat them.
- Insert toothpicks for serving and sprinkle with freshly chopped parsley. Enjoy!
- TIP: These can be immediately transferred to a Crock Pot and can be kept warm on low. You can also refrigerate them overnight and pop them into a Crock Pot on low the next day!
How to Make a Non-Spicy Version:-Omit the Cayenne and Hot Sauce -Use Sweet Sausage Instead of Spicy -Use Non-Spicy Cheese, like Cheddar