Roasted Broccoli White Cheddar Soup
This roasted broccoli and white cheddar soup is loaded with creamy white cheddar cheese that’s enriched with the flavors of perfectly roasted broccoli and melted Parmesan.
Greetings, from the Dominican Republic! *Waves arm around obnoxiously*
Yes, it’s true. I’m on vacay. Taking a little break from the frigid cold New Hampshire weather right now. I’m quite the lucky ducky, eh?
But hey! I have a hot bowl of Roasted Broccoli White Cheddar Soup to give you! Isn’t that sweet? Not as sweet it would have been to take you on vacay with me, but still, it’s something. This soup has some serious flavor to it too. Roasted broccoli and white cheddar is a match made in soup heaven. Everyone loves a good broccoli cheddar soup recipe, and this one is a kicked up version for sure.
I realize now that I was just talking about my soup obsession on last week’s soup recipe post. I also talked about my love for cheese. Well this recipe caters to both of those interests of mine, so, needless to say, this recipe goes on my favorites list.
…Think I’m done rambling about this soup? Nope. What makes it even more flavorful is that the Broccoli is topped with Parmesan cheese before it’s finished roasting, and you can really taste the white cheddar/Parmesan combo in every bite.
Yup, I’m pretty sure that I could go on about this for days. But, I think I should probably hand you this soup now, and head to the beach. You’ll be hearing from me soon, when I’m back in New Hampshire and freezing to death again. Until then!
Love broccoli cheddar?
If you have an instant pot, then grab this broccoli cheddar soup recipe that takes twenty minutes from start to finish! That’s insane!
- 3 cups broccoli florets (large chunks so they don’t burn while roasting)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt/pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese grated
- ½ finely diced onions
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 garlic cloves minced (or 2 teaspoons bottled minced garlic)
- 2 springs fresh thyme or 1 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 pint half and half (you can sub milk) equivalent to 2 cups
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 1/2 cups sharp white cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Add the broccoli to a baking sheet and drizzle the olive oil and desired amounts of salt and pepper.
- Toss the broccoli around to coat it evenly in the olive oil and heat in the oven for about 20 minutes, until the tops just start to blacken. (I recommend checking it around 15 minutes and keeping an eye from there)
- Sprinkle the Parmesan cheese on top of the broccoli and heat until the cheese is just melted, about 3-5 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a large soup pot, over medium heat. Add the onions and cook, covered, for 7 minutes.
- Remove the cover, decrease heat to medium low, add the minced garlic, thyme, and bay leaves and cook for an additional minute.
- Sprinkle in the flour and whisk with a fork, heating just long enough to rid the raw flour taste, about 2 minutes.
- Gradually add the chicken broth and bring it to a boil, then decrease the heat back down to medium low.
- Heat the half and half in the microwave until just warmed or no longer cool (about 30 seconds or so), then add it to the soup mixture.
- If you prefer to slice your roasted broccoli into smaller bites, do so, and then add to the soup.
- Gradually add the cheese to the soup, stirring as you do so until well combined.
- Heat, partially covered for a minimum of 15 minutes prior to serving to let the flavors full combine, then serve!