If you love the famous KFC Coleslaw recipe, you’ll love knowing how to make it at home with some simple ingredients and an easy hack for extra crispy slaw! This is a great BBQ Side dish idea to feed a crowd.
Be sure to pair this with a batch of Cheddar Bay Biscuits!
KFC Coleslaw Recipe
Guys, I did a lot of testing and research to bring you this recipe, and trust me. This is the best copycat that you’ll find for KFC’s famous coleslaw recipe.
The ingredient list is important, so try to stick to it.
What is KFC Coleslaw Made Of?
Ingredient quantities and full written instructions are in the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Green Cabbage
- Miracle Whip
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Vegetable Oil
- Celery Salt
PRO TIP: Using Miracle Whip is one of the secrets to KFC’s Coleslaw recipe. It’s sweeter, spicier, and contains less oil content than mayonnaise.
How to Make it
1. Salt and Drain the Cabbage: Optional, will yield crispier results.
- Add 1 Tablespoon of salt per head of shredded cabbage.
- Let it sit in a colander for 1-2 hours. The salt will draw out a lot of the water in the cabbage.
- Squeeze out the excess moisture with paper towels or a cheese cloth.
2. Prepare the Dressing
- Combine the oil, sugar, and celery salt. Stir in the vinegar and tarragon. Fold in the Miracle Whip.
- Add the carrots and the cabbage, toss well.
3. Serve immediately or marinade.
- Ideally, you’ll allow the coleslaw to marinade for 12-24 hours, especially if you salted the cabbage first. This will taste most like KFC’s version.
- Otherwise, serve immediately.
PRO TIP! This nifty cabbage shredder makes the shredding process easier and helps to ensure that your slices are all thin and evenly sliced!
Will Coleslaw Get Soggy?
In a word? Yes. But you can prevent it.
Green cabbage contains 93% water which can separate when coleslaw is stored for longer periods of time.
To prevent this, it’s recommended that you salt and drain your cabbage prior to making this recipe.
How Long Will Coleslaw Last in the Fridge
Coleslaw should be stored in an airtight container in the fridge and is best if used within 3-5 days.
Chilled Coleslaw should be kept at room temperature for no more than 2 hours.
What to Serve with Coleslaw
Get My Free Meal Plan!
KFC Coleslaw Recipe - BEST Copycat
- 6 ½ Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- ½ teaspoon celery salt
- 6 Teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 2 ½ cups Miracle Whip
- 2 carrots, finely diced
- 2 heads green cabbage, finely shredded
Salting and Draining Your Cabbage (Optional)
- If time allows, salt and drain the shredded cabbage prior to assembling to ensure your coleslaw is super crisp. To do this, add 1 To do this, add one tablespoon of salt per head of shredded cabbage and let it sit in a colander for 1-2 hours.
- After sitting, the cabbage will appear wilted, but will crisp back up once you squeeze out the excess moisture, which can be done with paper towels or a cheese cloth.
Assembling the Coleslaw
- Combine the oil, sugar, and celery salt until uniform in consistency.
- Stir in the vinegar and tarragon until well-combined.
- Fold in the Miracle Whip.
- Add the carrots and cabbage and toss well to fully combine.
- Refrigerate for at least 12 hours prior to serving, although 24 hours is ideal.