Instant Pot Broccoli Cheddar Soup
This thick and creamy instant pot broccoli cheddar soup soup is loaded with fresh broccoli and your favorite cheeses, and is ready in less than 20 minutes start to finish!
I know its March, and everyone is in the mood for Spring, and sunshine, and the Easter bunny… but gosh darnit, I have a soup obsession. Does that just go away just because spring has sprung? No. No it doesn’t. Plus, there is still snow on the ground here, so broccoli cheddar soup it is. *End Rant.*
So, you know how toddlers can be like, the hardest little creatures to feed? They’d rather be climbing on things they shouldn’t be, or sticking foreign objects in their mouths, or trying to color the wall with crayons. So I should have been elated when my crazy 2 year old tried this soup and continued to ask for more, and more, (and more). But instead I was kind of like, “um, that’s mine?”
Mom of the year folks. Mom of the year.
So let’s talk about how the instant pot can cook this soup in 12 minutes. How is that even possible? I need a diagram of how this works. Otherwise I’m just convinced that Instant Pots are magical. It’s the only explanation. They are just magical little pots that make delicious recipes really fast, turn crazy toddlers into eating machines, and only require one pot to be cleaned afterwards. That’s the definition of magic right there.
And PS: instant pots make *the best* French onion soup too. They really do. I don’t kid about these kinds of things.
What Size Instant Pot did I use?
-I used my trusty 6-quart Instant Pot for this recipe, which is what I recommend for most families, and is what most Instant Pot recipes are based on. It can cook enough food for a family of four and won’t take as long to come to pressure as an 8 quart will.
So, now that we’re soup buddies, instant pot buddies, and all-around food buddies, you should probably join my free email list to hear about my new recipes.
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion finely diced
- 2 cups baby carrots julienned
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken broth can sub vegetable broth
- 6 cups broccoli florets
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3 cups cheddar cheese*
- 1/2 cup half and half can sub whole milk
- Salt/Pepper to taste
- Add the butter to the instant pot and press the Sauté button. Once the butter is melted, add the carrots and onions, and cook for about 2-3 minutes, until the onions are soft and translucent.
- Add the garlic and flour. Stir to evenly distribute the flour throughout the vegetables. Cook for an additional minute and then add the chicken broth. Continue to stir until no lumps remain from the flour. (If the heat happens to shut off, hit the sauté button again.)
- Add the broccoli and place the lid on the instant pot. Set it to cook on high (or press the ‘pressure cook’ button) for 8 minutes.
- Once the 8 minutes are up, release the valve at the top, let the steam escape, open the lid, and turn off the instant pot.
- Add the paprika and Dijon mustard and stir until evenly distributed. Add the cheese, and stir until melted and well-combined. Finally, stir in the half & half (or milk). Season with salt/pepper if desired and serve!