Copycat Texas Roadhouse Steak Rub
Just a few simple seasonings is all you need to make the best dry steak rub recipe to compliment the amazing flavors in your chicken or steak, and tastes just like the Texas Roadhouse restaurant!
…Be sure to try this Copycat Texas Roadhouse Rolls Recipe next!
The best part is that this steak seasoning recipe is super-duper easy. Simplicity is often the way to go when you’re dealing with meat. The hardest part of all is not to fiddle with in on the grill- but seriously- don’t do it. Leave it alone. Set it and be done with it. Get your timing right (see instructions below)- and you’ll be happily munching on a big juicy steak in no time. Here is more information to help you achieve that perfect steak:
When to Put Dry Rub on a Steak:
There are two methods that work best:
–40 Minutes before you cook the steak: This allows the salt to penetrate through the surface (through osmosis) and actually helps break down the muscle fibers, which results in a more tender meat. During this time, the liquid that initially surfaced has time to reabsorb, which makes the meat juicer.
–Overnight: You can apply dry rub a day in advance and let it sit overnight in the refrigerator. The surface may appear to be dryer in the morning but you will actually only lose about 5% of moisture which is far less than what you’d lose if you were to cook the steak immediately, which is up to 20%. See more about this.
Best Cuts of Steak for Grilling:
- Filet Mignon
- New York Strip Steak
- Top Sirloin
Check out this resource for more information, including which cuts of meat need a little doctoring up before hitting the grill, and which cuts of meat should be avoided altogether.
How to Grill Steak:
-Get the highest quality meat that you can afford- it will make all the difference. Porterhouse, N.Y. Strip, & Ribeye are all perfect for grilling. Visit here for a complete list of options!
-Contrary to popular belief, it’s best not to oil your grill grates before grilling. These guys can tell you why.
–Hot & Fast is the best way to cook a steak on the grill, so don’t be afraid to turn up that heat. This goes for all cooking levels, from rare to well done.
-Cook the steak for 4-5 minutes on the first side, then flip. It should be brown and charred. Then follow the cooking times below depending on how you like it cooked:
- Rare: 5
- Medium Rare: 7
- Well Done: 10
Letting Steak Rest:
-This part is crucial. Let the steak rest for 5-7 minutes after cooking. This gives the juices time to settle and disperse evenly in the meat. If you cut right in, be prepared to watch juice run all over your plate. Let it rest, and that juice will stay in the meat.
What to Serve with Steak
Don’t forget the Gravy!
Get My Free Meal Plan
Making this in Bulk or Giving it as a Gift?
These jars are perfect for gift-giving or for storing spices and seasonings in your own kitchen!
Copycat Texas Roadhouse Steak Rub
- 2 teaspoons coarse kosher salt, *See Notes
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- NOTE: On 6/1/20, the amount of salt in this recipe was updated from 1.5 Tablespoons to 2 teaspoons in response to reader feedback. If you tried this recipe prior to that time and liked the results, feel free to use 1.5 Tablespoons. Feel free to use less than 2 teaspoons as well, the preferred amount varies from person to person. I prefer 2 teaspoons as the recipe states.
- Combine all ingredients in a quart-sized Ziploc bag and seal it tightly. Shake it to thoroughly combine all ingredients.
- Generously cover each side of the steak with the seasoning and let it rest for about 40 minutes. This allows the salt to penetrate through the surface (through osmosis) and actually helps break down the muscle fibers, which results in a more tender meat. During this time, the liquid that initially surfaced has time to reabsorb, which makes the meat juicer.
- Once the grill is nice and hot, place the steak(s) on and cook for 4-5 minutes, until it’s browned and slightly charred. Flip it over and cook for the following additional time:
- 5 minutes: Medium Rare7 minutes: Medium10 minutes: Well Done
Alternative Recipe for Steak Rub:
- 4 Tbsp. Lawry's seasoning salt
- 1 Tbsp. Black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. Onion powder
- 1 Tbsp. Garlic salt
Serving Suggestion: Serve your steak with a side of my Smooth & Creamy Homemade Mashed Potatoes