If you need an easy 20-minute meal, these Buttered Noodles will save the day! All you need is butter, Parmesan cheese, simple herbs, and a hint of lemon juice. Serve this with garlic bread with cheese, roasted green beans, steak or chicken!
There is something about the pure simplicity of buttered noodles that you just can’t beat. And while I respect some recipes that only call for butter and noodles, I’m here to give you something that tastes much better and is just as quick to make.
A simple combination of herbs, butter, Parmesan cheese, pasta water, and a hint of lemon juice is all you need. Adults and kids will just flip over this easy recipe. Check out everything you need to know below!
How to Make It
See recipe card below this post for ingredient quantities and full instructions.
Boil pasta water and add pasta. Cook according to instructions. Reserve ¼ cup of pasta water and drain the rest.
Add the butter to the warm pot that you boiled the pasta in and allow it to melt.
Add reserved pasta water and 1 Tbsp. lemon juice to the Parmesan cheese mixture. Cover and shake to combine.
Add pasta to the pot with the butter and add Parmesan cheese/Pasta water mixture on top.
Use kitchen tongs to toss until combined and serve with garlic bread with cheese.
- Use high quality butter and Parmesan cheese. My brands of choice are Land O’ Lakes butter and BelGioioso Parmesan cheese. Be sure to grate the cheese from a block instead of using a bag of shredded cheese. The flavor and consistency is much better.
- Egg noodles, fettuccine, or pappardelle work well for this recipe, (I used pappardelle, link in ‘tools’ section below).
- Add 1-2 bouillon cubes to the boiling pasta water to add even more flavor to the noodles.
Store in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
What to Serve with Buttered Noodles
- Tuscan Chicken or Mushroom Chicken
- Pork Chops in Gravy
- Salisbury Steak
- Copycat Longhorn Parmesan Crusted Chicken or Chicken Milanese
- Homemade Chicken Nuggets or Fried Chicken Tenders
- Filet Mignon
- Roasted Vegetables
Tools For This Recipe
(Amazon affiliate links)- Check out all of my kitchen essentials here.
Try These Next
Get My Free Meal Plan
Tried This Recipe?
Leave a review, I love hearing your feedback! ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
- 8 oz. pasta, egg noodles or pappardelle work well
- ¼ cup pasta water
- 4 Tablespoons salted butter
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried parsley
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- Combine shredded Parmesan cheese, ½ tsp oregano, ½ tsp parsley, and ¼ tsp garlic powder in a small, sealable plastic or glass container (so you can add pasta water and shake to combine later). Set aside.
- Boil pasta water and add pasta. Cook according to package instructions. Reserve ¼ cup of pasta water and drain the rest.
- Add the butter to the warm pot that you boiled the pasta in and allow it to melt. Then add the pasta.
- Combine the reserved pasta water with the container of Parmesan cheese and seasonings. Add 1 tablespoon lemon juice and shake to combine. Pour it over the pasta.
- Use kitchen tongs to toss until combined and serve with garlic bread with cheese.
Egg noodles, fettuccine, or pappardelle work well for this recipe, (I used pappardelle).
Add 1-2 bouillon cubes to the boiling pasta water to add even more flavor to the noodles.