This Baked Spaghetti recipe has can be made with ground beef, sausage, or meatballs! Cream Cheese adds a creamy element to the marinara sauce. Top it with lots of mozzarella cheese and bake it right away or save it for a busy weeknight dinner. You can even freeze the assembled casserole for another week!
Don’t forget a side of CHEESY Homemade Garlic Bread!
This cheesy baked spaghetti recipe truly is a home run every single time. The family always loves it, for starters. (It’s rare that we’re on the same dinner page.)
It’s also a phenomenal make ahead meal for busy weeknights.
BONUS: You can even assemble it and freeze it for an entirely different week!
- Ground Beef– 85% lean works well. You can also use ground sausage or a combination of both.
- Yellow Onion
- Garlic– Use fresh garlic cloves and mince them yourself for best flavor.
- Seasoned Salt
- Italian Seasonings
- Marinara Sauce– I love Rao’s brand, (sooo good).
- Diced Tomatoes
- Cream Cheese– Adds a slightly creamy element to the sauce.
- Parmesan Cheese– Buy a block and grate it at home for best results.
- Mozzarella Cheese– Shred your own at home.
- Fresh Parsley
Additional ingredients include diced Bell Peppers, Italian Sausage, Ricotta Cheese, Cooked/Diced Chicken, and more!
How to Make it
Cook the ground beef and onions.
Add the garlic during the last minute of cooking.
Add the marinara sauce and diced tomatoes. Stir in the cream cheese.
Cook Spaghetti according to package instructions. Drain, add to the marinara sauce.
Pour into a casserole dish, top with cheeses.
Refrigerate for later or bake immediately.
Baked Spaghetti with Meatballs
If your family loves the classic spaghetti and meatball combo, you should make my meatball recipe instead of using ground beef.
Just mix the cooked meatballs into the sauce, combine it with the spaghetti, top with cheese, and bake!
Make Ahead Method
-Baked Spaghetti can be prepared and assembled up to two days before baking.
-It can also be assembled and frozen before it’s baked. Before serving, let it defrost in the refrigerator overnight, then proceed with baking per the recipe.
-Baked spaghetti should be refrigerated and is best if used within three days.
–Baked spaghetti makes a great freezer food after it’s been baked. It’s best to wrap portion sizes in foil and place them in a labeled freezer bag.
–To reheat from a frozen state, leave it in the foil and bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or more, depending on the serving size.
Try These Next!
Baked Spaghetti Casserole
- 16 oz. spaghetti
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasonings
- 32 oz. marinara sauce
- 14.5 oz. diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 Tablespoons cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1 3/4 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Parsley, to garnish
- Cook the ground beef and diced onions in a large, nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Once the beef is browned and cooked through, add the garlic, seasoned salt and Italian seasonings and cook for an additional minute.
- Add the marinara and diced tomatoes. Once heated, stir in the cream cheese until it's melted and well-combined. Reduce heat to low.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Cook the spaghetti according to package instructions. Drain, and add to the marinara sauce.
- Pour the spaghetti into a lightly greased 9 x 13 inch baking dish and top with mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.
- If serving immediately, bake uncovered at 375 degrees for 15-20 minutes, until the cheese is hot and melted.
- If serving at a later date, cover and refrigerate until ready to serve, up to two days.
- Bake refrigerated casserole at 375 degrees for 25 minutes covered, and an additional 5-10 minutes uncovered.
- Top with chopped parsley and serve!
- If your family loves the classic spaghetti and meatball combo, you should make my meatball recipe instead of using ground beef.
- Just mix the cooked meatballs into the sauce, combine it with the spaghetti, top with cheese, and bake!
Make Ahead Method
- Baked Spaghetti can be prepared and assembled up to two days before baking.
- It can also be assembled and frozen before it's baked. Before serving, let it defrost in the refrigerator overnight, then proceed with baking per the recipe.