Caaannn… I just say that this was the best crust EVER?! No but really. The hubs and I ate this pizza, and later that week we ate pizza with regular crust… and we both agreed- this one was WAY better! I’m STILL shocked. The consistency is perfect and has a really great flavor. Oh- and three ingredients. That’s all you need for the crust. Just three, all-natural, delicious ingredients. Think it’s too good to be true?- It’s not. Think there’s a catch? Ehhhh… well, there kind of is. Time. That’s the catch. You need time to do this. Why you ask? Because zucchini is full of moisture, and you need to get that moisture out. But honestly, it’s worth it. To do it, I didn’t have a recipe- only a picture of the three ingredients. Luckily, it worked out really well. At times I had my doubts… even after letting out tons of moisture, once you mix in the egg, you feel like you just moisturized it right back up. But it still worked out. Using a cheese cloth to let out that excess moisture is probably a good idea. I didn’t have one, so I used paper towels- (classy, I know). I also cooked the crust on a pizza stone, which is great for absorbing additional moisture- I highly recommend it, I haven’t tried it on a normal baking sheet, but if I were to do try that, I’d take the moisture-removing process up a few more notches!
Enjoy! : )
- 3 cups peeled & shredded zucchini
- 2 pinches salt
- 1 large egg
- ¾ cup Parmesan cheese
- Take the shredded zucchini and remove as much moisture as possible. Do this by using a cheese cloth or paper towels.
- Once you've removed all that you can, sprinkle the zucchini with salt and let sit on a dry surface for at least 30 minutes, (the longer the better).
- Remove additional moisture a 2nd time, after it's had a chance to sit.
- Sprinkle with additional salt and let sit again, for another 30 (or more) minutes.
- Remove any excess moisture a 3rd time.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. If you have a pizza stone, place it in the oven to preheat.
- In a large bowl, mix the zucchini with the egg and cheese, until well combined- it will feel very moist, have faith!
- Form into a pizza crust and place on the baking sheet or stone.
- Let it bake for about 25-30 minutes. Remove from the oven and if it feels firm enough, flip it over. (If not, cook for about 10 minutes longer and try again).
- Once flipped, cook the crust for another 20 or so minutes, until it's reached your desired level of firmness.
- Remove crust from the oven and top with your favorite toppings. Place back in the oven and let bake until toppings are warm and melted. Remove, and serve! DELISH, I tell you!