This EASY Salsa Chicken Recipe is baked with layers of your favorite Mexican ingredients, including cream cheese, refried beans, salsa, black beans, and more. This casserole-style dinner is a meal all on its own, or can be served with rice, in tacos, on salads, and more!
Salsa chicken is the simplest dump and go recipe. Just layer up your favorite Mexican ingredients, bake, and serve.
Most salsa chicken recipes out there keep it strictly to seasoned chicken, salsa, and cheese. But that just doesn’t cut it for me.
I much prefer to bake this chicken over classic taco dip ingredients. There is so much more flavor and it’s more of a complete meal.
See recipe card at bottom of post for full ingredient quantities and full instructions
- Boneless/Skinless Chicken Breasts
- Taco Seasoning
- Cream Cheese
- Refried Beans
- Salsa- Try my homemade salsa!
- Black Beans
- Cheese- I recommend a combination of cheddar and Monterey Jack Cheese. Shredding them from a block at home will melt better than packaged shredded cheese.
How to Make It
Slice each chicken breast in half lengthwise. Pat completely dry. Season each side with Taco Seasoning.
Optional: Sear the chicken in a skillet with olive oil over medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes per side to create a nice textured outer crust.
Spread the softened cream cheese over the bottom of a 9 x 13 inch baking dish. Spread the refried beans on top.
Add 1/2 of the salsa, followed by the chicken. Top the chicken with the remaining salsa, black beans, and corn.
Add the cheese. Cover and bake at 375° for 25 minutes.
Remove the cover and bake for 10 minutes. Garnish with green onions and/or cilantro and serve.
*Use a meat thermometer and ensure that the internal temperature of the chicken has reached 165°F.
This casserole can be assembled up to 2 days ahead of time. The liquid from the salsa will actually soften up the refried bean layer, making it velvety smooth and even more flavorful.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
What to Serve with Salsa Chicken
Try These Next
Get My Free Meal Plan
- 2 large boneless/skinless Chicken, about 1 ¾ lbs.
- 1 oz. packet Taco Seasoning
- 8 oz. cream cheese, at room temperature
- 16 oz. Refried Beans
- 2 cups Salsa
- 1 cup Black Beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup Corn, canned or frozen
- 1 ½ cups cheese, cheddar, Monterey Jack, and/or mozzarella
- Fresh Parsley or Cilantro, to garnish
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Slice each chicken breast in half lengthwise. Pat completely dry. Season each side with Taco Seasoning.
- Optional: Sear the chicken in a skillet with olive oil over medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes per side to create a nice textured outer crust.
- Spread the softened cream cheese over the bottom of a 9 x 13 inch baking dish.
- Spread the refried beans on top, then add ½ of the salsa of salsa, followed by the chicken. Top the chicken with the remaining salsa.
- Sprinkle with black beans, corn, and cheese. Cover and bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove the cover and bake for additional 10 minutes.
- *Use a meat thermometer and ensure that the internal temperature of the chicken has reached 165°F.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve.
- Sour cream
- Tortilla Chips