Ground Beef Stroganoff
This Ground Beef Stroganoff is an easy recipe that doubles as a casserole and make ahead meal! Your family will love this budget-friendly dinner.
Ground Beef Stroganoff
Make-ahead casserole recipes tug at my heart strings, and the sauce in this one is so rich and creamy.
Here are the MAJOR perks of this recipe:
- Budget Friendly.
- Doubles as a Casserole that you can make 2 days ahead of time.
- Simple ingredients, nothing complicated.
- Kids and adults LOVE it.
Here’s the ingredient breakdown, followed by some optional additions and substitution options:
- Egg Noodles
- Olive Oil
- Ground Beef
- Beef Broth
- Sour Cream
- Dijon Mustard
- Cheddar Cheese
Additional Ingredient Options
-Adding Italian Seasoning to the ground beef is a great way add extra flavor.
-Mushrooms and peas make a great addition to this casserole. Mushrooms can be added at the same time as the diced onions, while the peas can be added to the sauce when the sour cream is stirred in.
–Adding chicken or beef bouillon to the boiling pasta water gives the noodles a flavor kick!
Sour Cream Substitutes
–Plain or Greek Yogurt makes a perfect substitute for sour cream in casseroles such as this.
–Mayonnaise may also be substituted.
How to Make Ground Beef Stroganoff
Cook and crumble the ground beef in a large pot or dutch oven. Drain any excess grease.
Remove beef from the pot. Cook diced onions, then add garlic. Add butter and beef broth. Add sour cream, dijon mustard, and half the cheese until melted and smooth.
Add ground beef back and carefully add cooked egg noodles.
Optional: Transfer to a casserole dish and top with remaining cheese. Bake.
Make Ahead Method
-This casserole can be prepared up to two days ahead of time and stored in the fridge until ready to bake.
Stove Top/Non-Casserole Method
-If you prefer to save yourself some time and omit the casserole piece of this recipe, cook the noodles for the full length of time as opposed to shaving off a minute.
–Add the noodles to the thickened sauce as indicated in the recipe, stir to combine, and serve without additional baking!
–Sprinkle cheese on top and close the lid. Let it simmer until the cheese is warm and melted.
Fridge: This casserole should be stored in an airtight container in the fridge and used within 3 days.
Freezer: Beef Stroganoff can be frozen and should be used within three months.
To reheat frozen casserole, let it defrost in the fridge overnight. Bake it covered at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or so, until heated through and warm.
Try These Next!
Get My Free Meal Plan
Ground Beef Stroganoff
- 8 oz. egg noodles, uncooked
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 lb. ground beef, I use 85% lean
- Salt/Pepper, to taste
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 2 ½ cups beef broth
- ¾ cup sour cream
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 + 3/4 cups cheddar cheese,, shredded
- Parsley, to garnish
- Cook the egg noodles for one minute less than instructed on the package. Drain and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil over medium-high heat in a Dutch Oven or large pot. Add the ground beef and cook and crumble until it’s browned and cooked through. Season with desired amounts of salt and pepper.
- Remove the cooked beef from the pot and set aside, leave the grease in the pan.
- Add the onion to the pan and sauté over medium heat for 5 minutes, until soft and translucent.
- Add the minced garlic and cook for additional minute, until fragrant.
- Add the butter to the pan and swirl around until it’s melted.
- Use a fork to stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring continuously.
- Stir in half of the beef broth until incorporated, then add the second half.
- Use a spatula to scrape up the brown bits from the bottom of the pan, this will give the sauce plenty of flavor.
- Mix in the sour cream, mustard, and half of the cheese until well-combined. (Sour cream will keep melting and will eventually incorporate into the mix.) Let it simmer for 3-5 minutes, until thickened.
- Add the ground beef back to the sauce. Use a silicone spatula to carefully mix in the egg noodles.
- Pour into a 9x13 greased casserole dish and top with remaining cheese.
- If serving immediately, bake uncovered at 375 degrees for 15-20 minutes, until the cheese is hot and melted.
- If serving at a later date, cover and refrigerate until ready to serve, up to two days.
- Bake refrigerated casserole at 375 degrees for 25 minutes covered, and an additional 5-10 minutes uncovered.
- Top with chopped parsley and serve!
Additional Ingredient Options-Adding Italian Seasoning to the ground beef is a great way add extra flavor. -Mushrooms and peas make a great addition to this casserole. Mushrooms can be added at the same time as the diced onions, while the peas can be added to the sauce when the sour cream is stirred in. -Adding chicken or beef bouillon to the boiling pasta water gives the noodles a flavor kick!
Storing Leftovers:Fridge: This casserole should be stored in an airtight container in the fridge and used within 3 days. Freezer: Beef Stroganoff can be frozen and should be used within three months. To reheat frozen casserole, let it defrost in the fridge overnight. Bake it covered at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or so, until heated through and warm.