French Onion Noodle Casserole
This French Onion Noodle Casserole is comfort food at its best! A creamy, cheesy filling surrounds delicious egg noodles with hints of caramelized onions and a crispy fried onion topping.
Try my French Onion Smothered Pork Chops next!
I’m not sure I would do so well in a world without casseroles. They’re just so creamy, usually freeze well, (if you actually have leftovers), and they’re easy to customize and throw together.
Let’s get into the deets!
The Best Cheese for Casseroles
Cheese is always creamier and melts better if you shred it fresh at home, as opposed to buying it pre-shredded.
Low moisture mozzarella melts the best and is what you’ll want to use in this recipe.
Can You Freeze Leftover Casserole?
- Reames Frozen Egg Noodles hold up well when frozen. Creamy casseroles such as this won’t have quite the same flavor or consistency when reheated, but freezing is definitely a fine way to make use of leftovers.
- When ready to reheat, let the casserole defrost in the fridge for 24 hours, then reheat at 350°, covered, for about 20 minutes.
- Frozen casserole is best if used within 3 months of freezing.
Using Rotisserie Chicken in Casseroles
I love the convenience of using rotisserie chicken in casseroles because it eliminates the steps in having to cook the chicken, and rotisserie chicken packs a ton of flavor.
If you do happen to cook your own chicken:
- Add a tablespoon of vegetable oil to your skillet and sear the chicken on each side before you cook the onions.
- Remove the chicken and proceed with cooking the onions afterwards. The benefit of doing it this way is that the seared chicken adds even more flavor to the pan which transfers into the casserole!
Try These Casseroles Next!
- Broccoli Cheddar Chicken and Rice Casserole
- Taco Casserole
- Copycat Cracker Barrel Hashbrown Casserole
- One Pot Cheeseburger Casserole
- Ground Beef Stroganoff Casserole
- more casserole recipes
- Join my free email list! You’ll get just one email a week with my latest recipes!
- Plus, follow me on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest. I love connecting with you guys. 😊
French Onion Noodle Casserole
- 4 Tablespoons butter
- 3 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 12 oz. Reames Homestyle Egg Noodles, can be found in the frozen section
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 (10.5 oz.) cans cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup chicken broth, separated
- 1 cup grated mozzarella
- 2 cups rotisserie chicken, diced
- 1 cup crispy fried onions
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large, oven-safe skillet, melt the butter and add the onions. Simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for about 20 minutes, until the onions begin to turn brown and caramelize.
- While the onions caramelize, cook the egg noodles in a separate pan according to package instructions. Drain, set aside.
- Add the sour cream, cream of chicken soup, and half chicken broth. Use a silicone spatula to stir in the egg noodles. Add half of the mozzarella cheese and the chicken.
- Stir until the cheese is melted. If desired, add up to ½ cup more chicken broth.
- Top with the remaining ½ cup mozzarella cheese and bake for 10 minutes.
- Top with the crispy fried onions and bake for 5-10 more minutes, until the top is golden. Serve and enjoy!