Creamy Tomato Spinach Pasta
This is the creamiest, most flavorful pasta sauce EVER. On top of that, it’s really easy to make and fun to get creative with. This is the no-meat version but you can also add chicken, (see the comments below from a happy recipe adapter who did!)- or perhaps some spicy ground sausage, (which I’ve done- and it’s delicious), or simply leave as-is. This has been a long week of training for me, (‘Collecting and Documenting User Requirements’- sound exciting or what?)… so I was pretty shot by the end of the day and just wanted something simple to eat for me and the hubs. It had been 6 months since I last made/posted this recipe and I decided it was worth re-posting, with a better picture (the last one was a cell-phone pic and I’m working on removing those bad boys). Well I’m sure glad I paid this recipe another visit because I definitely forgot how good it is- just the sauce alone is enough for me to call it dinner, hand me a spoon and I’m all set! We can call it creamy tomato/spinach soup? 🙂 Works for me! Just remember to bookmark or save this one somehow- you’ll want to make it again. You heard it here first.
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup yellow onions, diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teapsoon dried basil
- 1 Pinch red pepper flakes (optional)
- 3 Tablespooons tomato paste
- ½ cup chicken broth (can substitute water for vegetarian version or if you have no broth)
- ½ (heaping) cup cream cheese
- ¾ cup fresh spinach, finely chopped
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2.5 cups dry penne pasta
- Combine oil, diced onions, and minced garlic in a large pot (large enough to add pasta later). Cook on medium-low heat until softened and transparent (about 5 minutes).
- Add the diced tomatoes (with juices), oregano, basil, and red pepper flakes. Stir to combine. Add the tomato paste and a ½ cup of water to the skillet and stir until the tomato paste is dissolved into the sauce.
- Turn the heat down to low. Cut the cream cheese into a few pieces and then add to the skillet, using a whisk to stir the sauce until the cream cheese has fully melted in and the sauce is creamy.
- Add the Parmesan cheese to the skillet and whisk until it is melted in.
- Add the fresh spinach and gently stir it into the sauce until it wilts, decreasing in size.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook until tender.
- Add the pasta and stir until it is well coated in the creamy tomato sauce.
*This post may contain affiliate links