This Bacon Wrapped Chicken recipe is prepared in a single skillet and has extra crispy bacon! This is the best way to add tons of flavor to chicken breast or thighs, Enjoy this keto-style or serve it with baked or mashed potatoes and my easy sour cream sauce!
Bacon Wrapped Chicken
I have been eating bacon wrapped chicken my whole life, although my mom used to make it a little bit differently as she would bake this in the oven. (Instructions for that are in the recipe notes!)
Although baking it is easy and delicious, it doesn’t result in the crispy bacon that you see here. So, I changed this up a bit and decided to prepare this in a skillet instead. Not only is the bacon crispier, but the chicken is seared in bacon drippings which gives it so much texture, color, and flavor.
I serve this with an easy white sauce (simply made with sour cream and cream of chicken soup). It tastes so good when you drizzle it over the chicken and a hot baked potato.
The bottom of this post also contains recipe card with ingredients and full instructions.
- Thick Cut Bacon
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts- chicken thighs may also be used
- Italian Seasoning
- Russet Potatoes
- Canola Oil
- Coarse Kosher Salt
- Sour Cream
- Cream of Chicken Soup – try my homemade version!
- Fresh Parsley- to garnish
How to Make It
Cook the bacon in a skillet on low heat until it just begins to brighted in color, about 2 minutes per side. This not only partially cooks the bacon but also produces drippings for us to cook the chicken in.
Slice the chicken into quarters. Season with salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning. Sear in bacon drippings over medium high heat until browned on all sides and cooked through. Remove and set aside.
Meanwhile, combine the sour cream and cream of chicken soup in a small skillet and heat over medium-low heat while the chicken cooks.
Once the chicken is cool enough to handle, wrap each with 1 strip of cooled bacon and use a toothpick to secure the bacon in place. Add the chicken back to the pan over medium low heat. Use tongs to rotate to allow the bacon to finish cooking and crisp up on all sides. Garnish with chopped parsley. Serve with baked potatoes and white sauce.
Store in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
The bacon wrapped chicken does freeze well and can be wrapped in foil and baked at 350° until heated through.
Tools For This Recipe
(Amazon affiliate links)- Check out all of my kitchen essentials here.
Try These Next
Get My Free Meal Plan
Tried This Recipe?
Leave a review, I love hearing your feedback! ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Bacon Wrapped Chicken
- 8 slices thick cut bacon
- 2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 ½ teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 16 oz. sour cream
- 10.5 oz. cream of chicken soup
- 4 Russet Potatoes
- 1 ½ Tablespoons Canola oil
- 1 Tablespoon coarse kosher salt
- Fresh Parsley
- Prepare baked potatoes: Scrub the potatoes clean and wipe them completely dry. Pierce them a few times with a fork and rub them with canola oil. Place them on a baking sheet and sprinkle with sea salt. Bake for 50 minutes. (You can also place them on wire cooling racks on top of the baking sheet or directly on the oven racks.) Use an oven mitt to remove them.
- Partially cook the bacon: Place 4 strips of bacon in a large skillet, (preferably cast iron). Cook over low heat for about 2 minutes per side, until it just starts to get some color. Remove and set aside. Repeat with remaining 4 strips of bacon. (This partially cooks the bacon and also allows us to cook the chicken in the drippings.)
- Slice and season the chicken: Slice each chicken breast down the middle, then slice it again horizontally to create 4 pieces of equal size. Pat completely dry. Season with salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning.
- Sear the chicken: Heat the skillet with the bacon drippings over medium-high heat. Once the grease is glistening, add the chicken. Let it sear undisturbed for about 3 minutes, they will release from the pan once it’s done searing, don’t force it up. Use kitchen tongs to rotate the chicken to brown on all sides, reduce heat if oil gets too hot. Once browned and cooked through, remove the chicken and set aside.
- Heat the sour cream sauce: Combine the sour cream and cream of chicken soup in a small skillet. Let it heat up over low heat, partially covered. Stir it occasionally.
- Wrap the chicken with bacon: Once the chicken is cool enough to handle, wrap each with 1 strip of cooled bacon and use a toothpick to secure the bacon in place.
- Crisp up the bacon: Add the chicken back to the pan over medium low heat and use tongs to rotate to allow the bacon to finish cooking and crisp up on all sides.
- Serve: Remove and garnish with chopped parsley. Serve with baked potatoes. Drizzle the sour cream sauce over the potatoes and chicken. Serve and enjoy- Don't forget to remove the toothpicks!
To Bake it: Combine the sour cream and cream of chicken soup and transfer it to a 9x13 inch casserole dish. Season chicken breasts with salt/pepper/Italian seasoning. Wrap 2 pieces of bacon around each one and place it in the casserole dish. Cover and bake at 400° for 25 minutes. Ensure the internal temperature is 165° prior to serving.