I really felt the need to create a colorful summer pasta salad this weekend. (I’d say mission accomplished?)…we needed something different to go with our concoctions on the grill in this 90 degree heat we’ve been having. And I’ve been randomly craving Tortellini…. weird. So this salad was just the thing for us and would make a perfect addition to a summer BBQ! Aside from the pretty colors, the flavors all blend together perfectly and it was a breeze to whip up. (Trust me. Anything I make these days HAS to be… babies keep you busy man.)- But they’re cute 😉
So anyway, just boil that tortellini in the morning before the heat sets in, and you’re golden! I was fancy shamncy and used prosciutto in this but ham, salami, or pepperoni would do the trick as well! Not to mention the other ingredients that you could incorporate into this as well… basil for example, was in the original recipe but I omitted it just because it already had so many great flavors. (…Oh, and because I forgot to pick up basil at the store. BAHAHA) Luckily the spinach gave it some green 😉
I packed my good ol’ husband with some of this for his lunch today, he’s gonna like me for that 😉
- 1 (13 oz.) package cheese tortellini
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 5 slices prosciutto, chopped (can substitute ham, pepperoni, salami)
- 1 cup baby spinach, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 (8 oz.) package mozzarella, diced
- ¼ cup shredded Parmesan cheese (Add on top prior to serving)
- Boil tortellini according to package instructions. Drain & place into a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the oil, vinegar, sugar, and salt. Stir the mixture into the tortellini.
- Mix in all other ingredients. Refrigerate until ready to serve, then top with Parmesan cheese.
Recipe Source: What the Forks For Dinner?