*This post may contain affiliate links. Read more »
This roasted asparagus recipe takes 10 minutes from start to finish! It’s brushed with olive oil and has a sprinkling of salt and pepper along with finely minced garlic and lemon slices. An optional sprinkling of Parmesan cheese adds even more flavor to this easy-to-make dish!
Something must have been in the air last weekend, because every time I went to the grocery store, (which was several times because, food blogger), people wanted to chat. I guess it has something to do with the fact that my two year old waves and says “hiiii!” to everyone we pass, (and doesn’t stop until they say it back). So I think I’m actually to blame here. Or she is, rather. She’s a conversation magnet. Well anyway, this one woman was so excited about a sale on asparagus, it was like, out of control. She looked around and couldn’t really understand why the entire store wasn’t breaking out in song and dance over this asparagus sale. (I mean, asparagus can be kind of exciting I guess.) So I decided to hop on over and get excited about it with her. (Okay fine, I didn’t actually hop.) But I did grab a bundle of asparagus and together, we shared a moment.
How to roast asparagus:
Roasting asparagus is very simple, and takes no time at all. There are a few things that you can do to make sure that you roast the best asparagus ever known to man.
- First, after you’ve cut off the woody ends off the asparagus, use a vegetable peeler to remove the skin on the bottom 2-3 inches of the stem. This will make sure you don’t get stringy bites, which always bother me. They’re hard to chew and have a weird texture.
- Second, oven roasted asparagus does not take long. In fact, leaving it too long and you’ll end up with floppy asparagus, which is a no-no. (Unless you like floppy asparagus.) Otherwise, roast no longer than 8 minutes or so.
- Third, almost everything tastes better with cheese, it’s a rule. So I added a sprinkle of Parmesan. Asiago would be delicious too. Totally optional, but it adds some great flavor.
Check out my other recipes!
- 1 pound of asparagus cleaned and patted dry.
- 1 ½ Tablespoons olive oil
- Salt/Pepper to taste
- 2 cloves finely minced garlic
- 1 lemon sliced.
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
Cut the woody end off of the end of each asparagus stalk and discard.
Use a vegetable peeler around 2-3 inches from the end of each stalk to remove the skin, which will prevent the asparagus from being stringy when you bite into it.
Line the asparagus in a single layer on a baking sheet and drizzle it with olive oil. Sprinkle the top with salt, pepper, finely diced garlic, and lemon slices.
If desired, sprinkle Parmesan cheese over the asparagus as well.
Bake in the oven for 8 minutes. Cooking it longer than this will likely make the asparagus soft/floppy.
Remove from the oven, serve, and enjoy!