One Pot Tomato Spinach Tortellini with Sausage
Savory cheese-filled tortellini in a simple cream sauce with tomatoes, spinach, and sausage! All easily prepared in one pot!
This is one of those recipes that I just have to “sample” straight from the pan several times as it’s cooking, I’m like an animal. Do I need to make a public announcement about that? Nah. It’s more or less me giving you permission to do the same thing. I mean, the master of the kitchen should always take a little taste test (or seven).
…I like the sound of that, I’m going to start calling myself master of the kitchen. At all times. 📝
And now, a few questions that you may have about this recipe:
Can I substitute the sausage for something else?
Absolutely, I often substitute it with ground chicken or turkey. You could also sear diced chicken breasts in the pan first, set it aside, make the rest of the meal in the same pan, and then add the chicken back in. I do that quite often with these kinds of meals.
👉Searing the chicken in the same pan that you cook the rest of the meal in is a great way to pack in lots of delicious flavor.
Can I use a different kind of pasta?
You can absolutely use any kind of pasta that you want, I just happen to have a thing for tortellini. Penne would be a perfect substitution as it’s really good in thicker, creamier sauces. Since other pastas will likely take longer to cook, you may need to add up to a cup of additional chicken broth if too much of the liquid evaporates while the pasta is cooking.
Can I use frozen spinach?
Frozen spinach instead of fresh spinach is perfectly fine, so long as it’s properly thawed and drained.
You should also try these!
- Creamy Tomato Spinach Pasta
- Chicken Bacon Spinach Pasta
- Bacon Ranch Chicken Pasta
- Tortellini Al Forno
- Parmesan Crusted Tortellini Bites
I’d love for you to keep up with me and my future recipe endeavors! You can catch me on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, & Instagram! And signup to receive my latest recipes right to your inbox…it’s free. 😊
Savory cheese-filled tortellini in a simple cream sauce with tomatoes, spinach, and sausage! All easily prepared in a single pot!
- 1 lb. ground sausage (can sub ground chicken or turkey)
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cans Italian-style diced tomatoes, drained (14.5 oz. cans)
- 20 oz. refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 2 cups fresh spinach roughly chopped
- In a large, high-walled skillet over medium heat, brown the sausage (if you purchased sausage links, remove from casings first.). Drain the excess grease.
- Add the softened cream cheese in chunks so that it melts more evenly.
- Mix in 3 cups of chicken broth, stir in the drained tomatoes, and mix until the cream cheese is melted and distributed throughout.
- Gently mix in the tortellini, and bring to a light boil. Let it simmer with the lid partially on so as to allow some steam to escape. Refer to the tortellini package for instructions as to how long it takes until it’s al-dente, it may take as little as 4 minutes.
- Mix in the chopped spinach and allow it to wilt, this just takes a minute.
- Remove from heat and leave the lid partially on, let the sauce thicken up for about 5 minutes prior to serving.
For thinner sauce, up to one additional cup of chicken broth may be used.
Don't forget a side of CHEESY Homemade Garlic Bread!