One Pot Taco Mac
One Pot Taco Mac: Creamy macaroni and cheese loaded with mouth watering taco fixings, prepared in a single pot and perfect for your next Mexican night!
If Taco ingredients aren’t the perfect way to jazz up Macaroni Cheese, I don’t know what is. You see, diced up hot dogs mixed into mac & cheese will do it for me, because I’m a 6 year old trapped in a 30-something year old’s body, BUT, it won’t cut it for the hubs. Taco fixings however, will do it every time. And what’s even better is how versatile this is. You can substitute the ground beef with ground turkey or shredded chicken, for one. You could also throw in kidney or chili beans instead of black beans, making it more like a chili-mac, (um, YUM). If you don’t have fresh tomatoes you could use canned diced tomatoes… the options are pretty much endless.
I realize that I’m instructing you to use a box of mac & cheese here, which isn’t exactly the world’s most innovative task…but that’s precisely the point my friends! This is some easy-peasy weekday dinner inspiration for you, (and me). If you’re in the mood for a challenge, here’s a homemade shells and cheese recipe you can whip up! 😉
One of my favorite parts about this dish is how colorful it is. If you’re not an avocado person but don’t want to miss out on having some green in this dish, you could always chop up a green onion. There’s pretty much every color in the rainbow in here after all, which is pretty snazzy 😉 Don’t forget to pick up some colorful Tortilla Strips for the topping 😉
Check out my other recipes!
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 oz. packet of taco seasoning
- 12 oz. Kraft Velveeta Shells and Cheese
- 1 avocado diced
- 3/4 cup diced tomatoes
- 3/4 cup black beans drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup sour cream to top each plate
- 3/4 cup crispy tortilla strips
- Brown the ground beef over medium heat in a large, high-walled skillet.
- Drain excess grease and add the taco seasoning along with amount of water as indicated on package instructions (typically 2/3 cup).
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove the meat from the pan and set aside.
- Prepare the mac & cheese as indicated on package instructions.
- Top the prepared mac and cheese with the ground beef, diced avocado, tomatoes and black beans.
- Spoon onto serving plates and top each with a scoop of sour cream and crispy tortilla strips.