This hearty Lasagna Soup recipe is easy to make on the Stove Top or the Slow Cooker and is perfect for a cozy night in! Serve it with Mozzarella, Parmesan, and Ricotta for lots of delicious flavor.
Be sure to serve this with Garlic Bread with Cheese.
This Lasagna Soup recipe lets you enjoy the benefits of delicious, hearty lasagna with a fraction of the work! It’s one of the coziest soup recipes I’ve posted yet!
I love the ground beef/sausage combination in here but feel free to make it your own by using just one type of meat or ground turkey, chicken, or pork! You can also use any kind of pasta, but I love using classic lasagna noodles for this one!
How to Make It
See recipe card below this post for ingredient quantities and full instructions.
Cook and crumble the ground beef and sausage. Add onions halfway through and cook until softened. Drain any grease. Add garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
Add tomato paste and seasonings. Stir to combine.
Add chicken broth and “clean” the bottom and sides of the pot with it. Add the crushed, diced tomatoes, and bay leaf.
PRO TIP: If you have the rind from the block of Parmesan cheese, add it to the soup while it simmers for additional flavor.
Cook the lasagna noodles according to package instructions. Drain and cut them into smaller pieces. Remove the bay leaf, and add to the soup pot or to serving bowls. Garnish with Parmesan, Mozzarella, Ricotta and fresh parsley.
- This soup freezes very well without the lasagna noodles. It’s much better to boil fresh noodles when you reheat the soup.
- Feel free to let the soup simmer for as long as you like, it will continue to reduce and thicken as it does. Begin boiling the lasagna noodles when you’re just about ready to serve it.
- The cheese really brings this recipe together and makes you feel like you’re having lasagna. The Mozzarella and Parmesan are my 2 favorites, but of course I love to add the Ricotta as well. Romano makes a great alternative to Parmesan as well.
What to Serve with Lasagna Soup
Store in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Tools For This Recipe
(Amazon affiliate links)- Check out all of my kitchen essentials here.
Try These Next
Get My Free Meal Plan
Tried This Recipe?
Leave a review, I love hearing your feedback! ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
- ½ pound ground beef
- ½ pound sweet Italian sausage
- 1 yellow onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 4 Tablespoons Tomato Paste
- 1 teaspoon dried Oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried Basil
- 1 teaspoon White sugar
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce, optional but recommended
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon Pepper
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 4 cups Chicken Broth
- 14.5 oz. Crushed Tomatoes
- 14.5 oz. Diced Tomatoes, undrained
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 Lasagna noodles
- ½ cup Parmesan Cheese, freshly grated
- 1 cup Mozzarella Cheese, shredded from a block
- 8 oz. Ricotta Cheese
- Fresh Parsley, roughly chopped
- Cook and crumble the ground beef and sausage in a 4 -quart soup pot over medium-high heat. Add the onions halfway through and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Drain any grease. Add garlic and cook 1 minute.
- Add 4 TBS tomato paste, 1 tsp dried oregano, 1 tsp dried basil, 1 tsp sugar, 1 tsp hot sauce, ½ tsp salt, ¼ tsp pepper, and a pinch of red pepper flakes. Stir to combine.
- Add the chicken broth and use a silicone spatula to “clean” the bottom and sides of the pot with it.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, undrained diced tomatoes, and bay leaf. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer.
- PRO TIP: If you have the rind from the block of Parmesan cheese, add it to the soup while it simmers for additional flavor.
- Let the soup bubble gently while you begin boiling salted water for the lasagna noodles. Prior to adding the noodles, taste and adjust any seasonings as needed. The soup will become more concentrated as it simmers.
- Break them in half and cook them according to package instructions. Drain and cut them into smaller strips. Transfer to the soup. You can also add them directly to serving bowls, if you plan on having leftovers it’s better to boil fresh noodles for serving, especially if you plan on freezing the soup.
- Remove the bay leaf and garnish each serving bowl with Parmesan, Mozzarella, Ricotta, and parsley. Serve and enjoy! (This recipe is perfect with Garlic Bread with Cheese!)
This can be served with various types of pasta, I usually make about 6 ounces (just under ½ lb.). Bowtie pasta is a great choice!
To make the base creamier, add up to ½ cup cream to the soup when the crushed tomatoes are added.
If you prefer to cook the lasagna noodles right in the soup, add 1 cup additional broth or and let it bubble gently for about 12 minutes. (I recommend cooking them separately for ideal texture.)
Slow Cooker Method:
- Cook and crumble the ground beef and sausage over medium-high heat. Add the onions halfway through and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Drain any grease. Add garlic and cook 1 minute.
- Transfer to the slow cooker along with remaining ingredients except for lasagna noodles and garnishes.
- Cook on low for 7-8 hours or on high for 3-4.
- Boil pasta noodles according to package instructions. Drain, cut into strips.
- Transfer to serving bowls and spoon soup on top.
- Garnish with mozzarella, Parmesan, Ricotta, and fresh parsley and serve.