Paula Deen's Green Bean Casserole
This homemade Green Bean Casserole recipe from Paula Deen is an easy make-ahead side dish idea for holidays and family dinners. It's full of simple ingredients and is all topped with warm, melted cheese.
See notes for Crock Pot version.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Melt the butter over medium heat in a large skillet. Saute the onions and mushrooms for 5 minutes, until softened.
Add the fresh garlic and cook for an additional minute. Remove from heat.
Boil the chicken broth in a large pot and add the green beans. Cook for 10 minutes and drain.
In a large bowl, combine the onions, mushrooms, garlic, green beans, mushroom soup and French-fried onions. Add any salt/pepper if desired, refrain from adding too much salt.
Pour into a greased 1 ½ quart baking dish. Bake uncovered for 20 minutes.
Top with the grated cheese and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
Using Frozen Green Beans:
- ½ teaspoon onion powder can be added for non-onion lovers.
- The mushrooms can be omitted for non-mushroom lovers.
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder can be used instead of fresh garlic if necessary.
- Here is a homemade version of condensed cream of mushroom soup.
• 2 cups frozen green beans may also be used. They should be thawed and patted dry.
• Cook them in chicken broth just as you could with fresh.
Using Canned Green Beans:
• 1 (14.5 oz.) can of green beans (drained) may be used instead of fresh.
• No need to cook in them chicken broth, simply mix it in with the other ingredients after draining.
Crock Pot Green Bean Casserole:
- Cook green beans, drain, and assemble as instructed, but omit the French Fried Onions.
- Heat on low for 5 hours.
- Top with cheese and cover until melted.
- Top with French Fried onions and serve. No further heating required.
Calories: 243kcal, Carbohydrates: 15g, Protein: 13g, Fat: 15g, Saturated Fat: 8g, Cholesterol: 33mg, Sodium: 1425mg, Potassium: 448mg, Fiber: 2g, Sugar: 3g, Vitamin A: 663IU, Vitamin C: 21mg, Calcium: 245mg, Iron: 2mg