Cube Steak Recipe
This Tender Cube Steak is smothered in a delicious brown gravy with onions and pan fried on the stove top or in the Slow Cooker! Serve this over mashed potatoes, noodles, or rice, with roasted green beans or carrots!
See notes section below for Slow Cooker instructions.
Seasoning Prep: Combine the meat seasoning mix and set aside.
Gravy Prep: Combine the cornstarch and cold water in a medium bowl and whisk until incorporated and smooth. Add 1 cup chicken broth, 1 cup beef broth, 1 beef bouillon, 1 tsp onion powder, ½ tsp garlic powder and 1 ½ tsp Worcestershire sauce. Whisk to combine and set aside.
Meat Prep: Place saran wrap over each cube steak and use the rough end of a meat tenderizer to pound it thin, about ½ inch thick or so. This really makes a nice difference in the consistency of the meat even though cube steak has already been tenderized.
Rub seasoning mix on each side of the steak, then rub with flour.
Heat 2 TBS olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Sear 2 steaks at a time for about 3 minutes per side. (Add a splash more olive oil if needed and adjust heat up or down slightly as needed as the steaks cook.) Set steaks on a plate to rest.
Leave the meat flecks in the pan, this is called “fond” and it will add flavor to the gravy. If you have any black/burnt areas, use a damp paper towel to carefully clean that out.
Melt 2 TBS butter over medium heat and use a silicone spatula to ‘clean’ the bottom of the pan. Add the onions and toss to coat. Cook the onions for 15-25 minutes, until desired consistency is obtained. I like mine very soft and reduced, almost caramelized. Be sure to stir them often as they cook.
Add the liquid gravy mixture and use a silicone spatula to clean the bottom and sides of the pan once again. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
Add the steaks and any juices back to the pan and spoon some gravy on the top of each steak. Simmer with the lid partially covered for 5 minutes or so, until the gravy is thickened and the meat is cooked to your liking.
Optional: Remove from heat and melt 2 Tablespoons cold butter at the end for a silky, velvety finish. This is a technique that chefs use called “monter au beurre”.
- Aim for an internal temperature of 125° or so for tender results. It will increase an additional 5° or so after it's removed from the heat.
- The gravy recipe uses a combination of beef and chicken broth for depth of flavor, but all beef broth may be used.
- Onions can be omitted if preferred, or mushrooms can be used instead.
- A cast iron skillet will give your steaks a nice crusty sear.
Slow Cooker Method:
- Tenderize and season the steaks as outlined.
- Sear for 2-3 minutes per side instead of 4-5 and set aside.
- Prepare gravy as outlined, then transfer to the Slow Cooker along with the steaks.
- PRO TIP: The above steps can be done the night before and cooked in the Slow Cooker the next day.
- Cook on low for 7-8 hours or on high for 3-4.
Calories: 538kcal, Carbohydrates: 18g, Protein: 38g, Fat: 35g, Saturated Fat: 14g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g, Monounsaturated Fat: 15g, Trans Fat: 1g, Cholesterol: 145mg, Sodium: 1102mg, Potassium: 750mg, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 3g, Vitamin A: 464IU, Vitamin C: 7mg, Calcium: 66mg, Iron: 4mg