Creamy Herb Chicken
This Creamy Herb Chicken is SO easy to make and has the most flavorful cream sauce that’s perfect with roasted or mashed potatoes and roasted vegetables. Your family will love this easy dinner recipe with chicken breast or thighs.
Dredge/Sear the Chicken
Slice the chicken into 2-3 thinner slices. Pound with a meat tenderizer if needed, the chicken will plump up more when cooked. Aim for ½ inch thick slices. Pat completely dry.
Lightly sprinkle each side of the chicken with salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning. Dredge in flour and tap off excess.
Heat olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add 3 pieces of chicken, leaving room around each. Sauté for 4-5 minutes per side, until a golden brown crust has developed. Remove and set aside. Repeat with the remaining 3 pieces of chicken.
Pro Tips: Make slight adjustments to the heat, (up or down), as needed during cooking. Add an additional splash of olive oil if needed throughout cooking. Try to leave the chicken undisturbed as it cooks to get a nice crusty sear.
Make the Sauce
Turn the heat off and remove any excess oil along with any black remnants, but leave the brown bits in the pan. (This is called “fond” and will give the sauce plenty of flavor.)
Add the chicken broth and seasonings: ( 1 tsp onion powder, 1 tsp garlic powder, ½ tsp mustard powder, 1 tsp basil, 1 tsp oregano.)
Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low. Stir in the cream of chicken soup followed by the sour cream, milk, and 2 tsp. lemon juice. Whisk until smooth and combined.
Add the Chicken Back and Serve
- Nutrition facts assume that all of the flour is used.
- Consider using low sodium cream of chicken soup and chicken broth to control the sodium content.
- Store in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
- Alternative herb options include dried rosemary, thyme, parsley, and sage.
- If using smaller chicken breasts, consider using 3-4 instead of 2 large.
- 1 cup heavy cream can be used instead of sour cream/milk if needed. Consider letting it bubble gently and reduce for up to 10 minutes to thicken before adding the chicken back.
- Feel free to make my homemade cream of chicken soup for this recipe if desired!
- BACON! Feel free to cook 6 strips of thick-cut bacon low and slow in the skillet. Remove and save the drippings. Wipe the pan clean and cook the chicken in the drippings for more flavor. Roughly chop the crispy bacon and sprinkle on top before serving.
- Parmesan Cheese: You may also choose to sprinkle shredded Parmesan cheese in with the flour mixture for the chicken for adding flavor.
Calories: 385kcal, Carbohydrates: 21g, Protein: 17g, Fat: 26g, Saturated Fat: 8g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g, Monounsaturated Fat: 12g, Trans Fat: 1g, Cholesterol: 66mg, Sodium: 846mg, Potassium: 427mg, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 3g, Vitamin A: 475IU, Vitamin C: 6mg, Calcium: 116mg, Iron: 3mg