Learn how to make the BEST Sausage Gravy from scratch with just a few simple ingredients! Serve this with my homemade biscuits for the ultimate comfort food!
Cook and crumble the sausage over medium-high heat until there is just a small amount of pink left. Decrease heat to low and let it finish cooking, (this gives us a little bit more drippings).
Sprinkle the flour over the sausage and stir to incorporate. Increase heat to medium and cook for 2 minutes, until you can no longer smell flour.
Gradually add the half and half and milk, a little bit at a time. Use a silicone spatula to “clean” the bottom of the pan.
Add the seasonings. Bring the sauce to a gentle boil for one minute, then reduce to a simmer.
Gently stir and loosen any remnants on the bottom of the pan as it simmers. It will continue to thicken more and more. Once your desired thickness is obtained, remove from heat.
Taste, and add any additional salt/pepper if desired.
Optional: Melt 2 Tablespoons cold butter at the end for a silky, velvety finish. This is a technique that chefs use called “monter au beurre”.
- Note 1- I love using sweet breakfast sausage, but any variety will work well!
- Note 2- All whole milk or all half and half can be used if needed.
More PRO Tips:
- Onions/Garlic can be sautéed with the sausage as well.
- If the gravy becomes too thick, add a splash of milk. This may be particularly helpful if reheating from a cold state.
- This recipe makes approximately 36 ounces, which is equal to about 4 1/2 cups. The nutrition information is per ounce and includes the optional addition of butter at the end.
- This recipe can be prepared 1-2 days in advance. Let it cool and store it in an airtight container in the fridge.
- Reheat it in a skillet on the stove top and be prepared to add a splash or two of milk if you need to thin it out.
Calories: 67kcal, Carbohydrates: 2g, Protein: 3g, Fat: 5g, Saturated Fat: 2g, Trans Fat: 1g, Cholesterol: 15mg, Sodium: 143mg, Potassium: 60mg, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 1g, Vitamin A: 81IU, Vitamin C: 1mg, Calcium: 24mg, Iron: 1mg