Beer Cheese Dip
This easy Beer Cheese Dip recipe is perfect for serving with pretzels, bread, vegetables, and chips! Keep it warm in the Crock Pot or in a Fondue Pot for easy snacking and entertaining.
Shred the cheese and set it aside.
Combine ½ tsp garlic powder, ½ tsp onion powder, 1/8 tsp cayenne, ½ tsp salt, and 1/8 tsp pepper, set aside.
Heat the milk in the microwave for 45 seconds.
In a 10-inch cast iron skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and stir for 1 minute.
Slowly incorporate the milk and then the beer, whisking as you pour. If you add it too fast, the roux will thin out too much.
Add the seasonings, Worcestershire sauce, and the mustard. Let the mixture bubble gently, increase heat if needed.
Allow it to continue to gently bubble and thicken for about 5 minutes.
Reduce heat to low and let the base cool down. Gradually sprinkle in cheese and stir to combine.
Taste, and add a splash more beer if a thinner consistency or stronger beer flavor is preferred. Season with salt/pepper if desired.
Serve with soft pretzels, crusty bread, vegetables, or chips.
This recipe makes about 2 + 1/3 cups or enough to serve approximately 6 people.
- Use a beer that you enjoy drinking as the flavor of the beer is transferred to the dip.
- Tuckerman Pale Ale is a variety that I would recommend.
- Non Alcoholic Beer may also be used.
- Chicken broth can be used if beer is not an option.
- 2 cups of cheese is perfect for this dip. I prefer the cheddar/gouda/gruyere combo for special occasions.
- I use Cracker Barrel Sharp Yellow Cheddar, Yancey’s Fancy Gouda, and Emmi Switzerland Le Gruyere.
- Monterey Jack, Mozzarella, Swiss, and Provolone may also be used in addition to Sharp Cheddar and White Cheddar.
- Avoid bagged cheese as it contains cellulose and doesn't melt as well. Shred your own cheese from a block or purchase Provolone/Swiss from a deli counter.
Be sure to serve this dip with my friend Tracy's Soft Pretzel Recipe!
Calories: 314kcal, Carbohydrates: 8g, Protein: 15g, Fat: 24g, Saturated Fat: 15g, Cholesterol: 79mg, Sodium: 610mg, Potassium: 105mg, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 3g, Vitamin A: 724IU, Calcium: 433mg, Iron: 1mg