Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole
This Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole is made with creamy rice, diced or shredded chicken, ham, and melted Swiss cheese with breadcrumbs. It’s easy to make ahead of time and leftovers make a great freezer meal!
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- ½ cup Yellow Onion, diced
- 3 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon Dried Thyme
- ½ teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 2 ½ cups Chicken Broth
- 1 ¼ cups White Long Grain rice, uncooked
- 10.75 oz. Cream of Chicken Soup
- ½ cup Sour Cream
- 1 cup Milk
- 2 teaspoons Dijon Mustard
- 1 cup Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 cup cooked chicken
- 8 oz. ham steak, or 1 cup diced ham
- 9 slices Swiss Cheese
- 1/3 Cup Seasoned Breadcrumbs
- 1 Tablespoon Melted Butter
Note: This recipe is designed to allow you to prepare all of the casserole ingredients in one pot. Before you begin, refer to your rice package for the amount of liquid (we'll use chicken broth) and cooking time. If preferred, cook the rice separately and skip the broth ingredient. You'll need 3 +3/4 cups of cooked rice to combine with the other casserole ingredients. I use white long grain rice and the cooking times below work perfectly.
Place the rice in a strainer and run it under cool water for 1 minute. This rids it of excess starch which will help to prevent it from sticking to the bottom of the pot when cooked.
Shred the cheese and set aside, it will melt better if it’s not cold when added. Avoid packaged shredded cheese as it contains cellulose which prevents it from melting well. This is the brand I prefer for cheddar. Avoid using extra sharp or aged cheddar.
If using uncooked chicken, diced it and season with salt and pepper. Sauté in butter until golden and cooked through. Set aside.
Measure out remaining ingredients prior to cooking.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Melt 2 Tablespoons butter and add the diced onions. Cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
Add the garlic, garlic powder, and thyme. Cook for one more minute.
Add olive oil, chicken broth, and rice. Stir to combine.
Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Cover tightly and cook for 15 minutes. Do not stir.
Turn off heat, leave the lid on and let it sit for 10 minutes, do not stir. Any rice stuck on the bottom will release during this time.
Add the cream of chicken soup, sour cream, milk, Dijon mustard, cheddar + Parmesan cheese, and cooked chicken/ham. Stir to combine.
Transfer to a lightly greased 9 x 13 casserole dish. Top with Swiss cheese. Cover and bake for 15 minutes.
Combine the melted butter and breadcrumbs. Sprinkle over the top of the casserole and bake for 10 more minutes, uncovered.
Let it stand for 5 minutes prior to serving.
- This casserole can be assembled ahead of time and refrigerated for up to 2 days prior to baking.
- You can also freeze the unbaked casserole for another day. To reheat, let it defrost in the fridge overnight.
- To Bake: Let it sit out for 30 minutes prior to baking. Cover and bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes.
- Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
- Freeze in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
- Frozen leftovers can be microwaved for a quick lunch.
- You can defrost in the fridge overnight, cover and bake in a 350° oven until heated through, the amount of time depends on portion size.
To add broccoli, add 2 cups of fresh florets to the rice halfway through steaming and replace the lid.
Calories: 567kcal, Carbohydrates: 30g, Protein: 33g, Fat: 35g, Saturated Fat: 18g, Trans Fat: 1g, Cholesterol: 115mg, Sodium: 1659mg, Potassium: 471mg, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 4g, Vitamin A: 929IU, Vitamin C: 21mg, Calcium: 517mg, Iron: 2mg