Broccoli Mac and Cheese (One Pot!)
This Broccoli Mac and Cheese recipe is so creamy and easy to make! Serve it as a savory side dish or add chicken and make it a meal!
- 4 Tablespoons Butter
- 4 Tablespoons Flour
- 2 cups Milk, any kind
- 2 cups Half and Half
- 2 cups Chicken Broth
- 12 ounces Cavatappi Pasta, see below for other pasta options
- 2 ½ cups Broccoli Florets, fresh or frozen
- 4 cups Sharp Cheddar Cheese, shredded from a block.
Optional seasoning: [1/4 teaspoon each]: Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, and Paprika.
Note: If using frozen broccoli, thaw it and pat it dry prior to adding it to the pasta.
Shred the cheese and set aside. It should be near room temperature when added to the pasta. I use Heluva Good! Sharp Cheddar. It melts well and the flavor is great.
Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Gradually whisk in the flour. Continue to whisk for about 3 minutes, until it turns golden.
Slowly half and half/milk a bit at a time, whisking as you do so. Add chicken broth and optional seasonings.
Bring to a boil and stir in the pasta. Reduce heat to a gentle bubble. Stir occasionally, uncovered, for about 7 minutes. Add broccoli and stir to combine. Cover and cook for 4 more minutes or until pasta is cooked through.
Remove from heat. Gradually sprinkle in the shredded cheddar. Use a silicone spatula to gently combine as you do so. Serve!
Other pasta options include Medium Shells, Elbow Macaroni, Rotini, Fusilli/Bow Tie Pasta. Just note the cooking times may vary slightly.
Good cheese combinations include Smoked Gouda, Monterey Jack, Gruyere, Fontina, and Mozzarella. Note that extra sharp cheddar or aged cheeses won’t melt as well.
Make Ahead Method:
- Cook the pasta until just under Al Dente.
- Transfer to a 9 x 13 casserole dish and let it cool completely. Refrigerate for 1-2 days.
- Let it sit at room temperature for 30 minutes prior to baking.
- Cover and bake for 350° for 30 minutes.
- Optional: Uncover and top with crushed Ritz crackers or melted butter + breadcrumbs. Bake for an additional 7 minutes.
Calories: 771kcal, Carbohydrates: 57g, Protein: 33g, Fat: 46g, Saturated Fat: 28g, Cholesterol: 137mg, Sodium: 905mg, Potassium: 595mg, Fiber: 3g, Sugar: 7g, Vitamin A: 1642IU, Vitamin C: 40mg, Calcium: 756mg, Iron: 2mg