These creamy funeral potatoes can be made with fresh or frozen potatoes and baked in the oven or in the Crock Pot! They are easy to make-ahead of time and make a great recipe for a potluck!
Add the remaining 5 tablespoons butter until melted. Remove from heat.
Stir in cream of chicken soup, sour cream, salt/pepper, hot sauce. Set aside ½ cup of cheese and add the rest to the saucepan mixture.
Use a silicone spatula to stir in the potatoes until well-combined.
Transfer to a lightly greased 9 x 13 baking dish. Top with remaining ½ cup cheese.
Add Topping and Bake
Combine the melted butter, potato chips, and Parmesan cheese. Spread evenly over the potatoes.
Bake, uncovered, for 40 minutes. Let it sit for 5 minutes prior to serving. Garnish with chives if desired.
How to thaw frozen hash browns:
• Place the package in the refrigerator overnight.
• Defrost them in the microwave.
• Let them sit at room temperature in a large bowl for about 45 minutes.
Using Fresh Potatoes:
- If using fresh potatoes, rinse them thoroughly with cold water and pat completely dry. You’ll need about 10 cups shredded potatoes.
Crock Pot Method:
- Assemble as indicated in recipe, reserving some of the cheese to top it with. Place in a lightly greased Crock Pot.
- Heat on low for 4-5 hours or high for 3+1/2.
- Top with Cheddar and Parmesan cheese, cover until melted.
- Sprinkle with slightly crushed potato chips. (No need to toss them with butter as that's more conducive for the oven.)
Calories: 375kcal, Carbohydrates: 28g, Protein: 11g, Fat: 25g, Saturated Fat: 12g, Cholesterol: 53mg, Sodium: 518mg, Potassium: 640mg, Fiber: 2g, Sugar: 2g, Vitamin A: 570IU, Vitamin C: 12mg, Calcium: 269mg, Iron: 1mg