Cheesy Ground Beef and Rice Casserole
Ground Beef and Rice Casserole is easy, cheesy, and a pantry friendly meal that your family will love! Cream of mushroom soup and other staple ingredients come together for the creamiest casserole ever.
- 1 lb. ground beef, 85% lean
- 1.5 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 3 Tablespoons butter, separated
- ¾ cup onions, diced
- 1 Tablespoon garlic, minced
- 2 ½ cups beef broth
- 1 ¼ cups uncooked white long grain rice, (not instant rice)
- 8 oz. sliced button mushrooms, washed
- 10.5 oz. cream of mushroom soup
- ½ cup milk, any kind
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, separated
Note: This recipe is designed to allow you to prepare all of the casserole ingredients in one pot before transferring to a casserole dish for baking. Before you begin, refer to your rice package for the amount of liquid (beef broth) and cooking time. If preferred, cook the rice separately and skip the beef broth ingredient. You'll need 3 + 3/4 cups of cooked rice to combine with the other casserole ingredients.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Brown the ground beef in a large pot over medium-high heat. Mix in salt, pepper, and Italian seasonings as the beef cooks.
Drain grease, transfer to a plate, and cover with foil.
Melt 2 TBS butter in the same pot. Add the diced onions and cook for 5 minutes, until softened.
Add garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
Add beef broth, butter, and rice. Stir to combine.
Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer.
Cover tightly and cook for 10 minutes.
Add the mushrooms, replace the cover, and cook for 5-10 more minutes. (Refer to rice package for exact cooking time.) Do not stir the rice at any point.
Turn heat off, leave the cover on, and let it stand for 10 minutes without stirring. Any rice on the bottom of the pot will release.
Add the ground beef, cream of mushroom soup, milk, sour cream, and HALF of the cheese. Stir to combine.
Transfer to a lightly greased 9 x 13 casserole dish. Top with remaining cheese.
Cover and bake for 20 minutes. Serve!
• To make this ahead of time, assemble the casserole, cover, and store in the fridge for up to 2 days. Let it sit out for 30 minutes prior to baking. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes.
• Instead of mushrooms, you may choose to use frozen peas, carrots, and/or corn.
• Leftovers freeze very well!
If you prefer to avoid condensed canned soup, you can make this with my homemade Cream of Chicken Soup!
Calories: 480kcal, Carbohydrates: 23g, Protein: 33g, Fat: 28g, Saturated Fat: 17g, Trans Fat: 1g, Cholesterol: 116mg, Sodium: 1085mg, Potassium: 650mg, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 3g, Vitamin A: 714IU, Vitamin C: 3mg, Calcium: 354mg, Iron: 3mg