This Taco Casserole Recipe is loaded with all of your Mexican favorites and topped with Doritos, Fritos, or Tortilla Chips! It’s easy to assemble days ahead of time and bake later for an easy dinner!
- 1 lb. ground beef, I use 80% lean
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 oz. taco seasoning, equivalent to 2 Tablespoons
- 16 oz. refried beans
- ¾ cup sour cream, *see notes
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup black olives, sliced
- ¾ cup crunchy toppings such as tortilla chips, Doritos, and/or Fritos
- Green onions, (optional)
- 1/3 cup lettuce, shredded
- 1/3 cup tomatoes, diced
Let the sour cream come to room temperature while you prepare the meat. This will prevent it from curdling when baked as it won't be going from cold to hot right away.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Add the ground beef and diced onions to a large pan and cook and crumble over medium heat until the meat is cooked through.
Drain excess grease.
Add ¾ cup water and taco seasoning.
Bring to a boil.
Reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
Spread the refried beans in an even layer within a casserole dish. (Mine was 9 x 13" but varying sizes are fine.)
Spread the sour cream over the refried beans.
Top with cooked ground beef mixture, then with cheese.
If you’re preparing this head of time, let it cool and cover and refrigerate until ready to bake.
If baking right away: Bake, uncovered, for 15 minutes, or until the cheese is hot and melted.
If baking after the casserole has been refrigerated: Bake, covered, for 25 minutes. Remove the cover and bake for an additional 5 minutes.
Add the toppings:
Top the casserole with black olives and crunchy toppings. (Add additional cheese if you like as well.)
Bake uncovered for 8 minutes.
Garnish with green onions, diced tomatoes, and/or shredded lettuce and serve!
*Avoid using light sour cream as this can cause it to curdle and separate. Also ensure that it gets to near room temperature when adding to the casserole.
*A combination of Cheddar and Monterey Jack cheese works well too!
Crock Pot Taco Casserole
- This recipe is easy to assemble within a Crock Pot and heat right away or up to 2 days later.
- You'll still need to brown the ground beef first, then layer the ingredients per the recipe instructions.
- Save the crunchy toppings and shredded lettuce/green onions until you're just ready to serve.
Heating right away: High 2-3 hours or Low 4-5 hours
Heating from a cold state: Let it sit out for 35 minutes prior to heating to prevent the sour cream from curdling. Heat on high 4-5 hours or Low 6-7 hours
This Crock pot allows you to sear/brown meat right on the stove top. It also switches to warm once the cooking time is up.
Calories: 547kcal, Carbohydrates: 24g, Protein: 28g, Fat: 38g, Saturated Fat: 18g, Cholesterol: 108mg, Sodium: 1273mg, Potassium: 359mg, Fiber: 5g, Sugar: 5g, Vitamin A: 1175IU, Vitamin C: 4.9mg, Calcium: 374mg, Iron: 3.2mg