Hash Brown Casserole (Cracker Barrel Copycat!)
This Hashbrown Casserole tastes just like the Cracker Barrel version and is so easy to throw together and serve with breakfast, or even dinner. (Plus, leftovers are freezer friendly!)
- 32 oz. frozen hash browns, thawed*
- 1 stick butter, melted
- 10.5 oz. cream of chicken soup, (cream of cheddar works too)
- 16 oz. sour cream
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 2.5 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/3 teaspoon pepper
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Ensure that your hash browns have thawed. (Otherwise they take a very long time to bake.) You can defrost them in the microwave to speed up this process.
Pat them dry of excess water.
Set 1 cup of cheddar cheese aside.
Combine all remaining ingredients in a large bowl.
Place it in a greased 9x13 casserole dish and top with remaining cheese.
Cover and bake for 35 minutes.
Remove cover and increase heat to 400°. Bake for an additional 5-10 minutes, until the top begins to crisp and brown slightly.
Remove from the oven and let stand for 10 minutes prior to serving.
*They only have 28 oz. bags at my grocery store, so I use that and leave everything else the same. Frozen Cubed Hash Browns may also be used.
Crock Pot Method
- Assemble as indicated in recipe, reserving some of the cheese to top it with. Place in a lightly greased Crock Pot.
- Heat on low for 4-5 hours or high for 3+1/2.
- Top with cheese, cover until melted, then serve.
- Note: Crock Pots vary in terms of temperature so you may want to check on it periodically as it cooks.
You can assemble this casserole the night before and store it in the fridge overnight, just be sure that your hash browns are thawed and patted dry when you combine them with the other ingredients.
- Leftovers should be refrigerated in an airtight container and are best if used within 3 days.
- You can also freeze leftovers, they're best if used within 3 months.
- To reheat, let it defrost in the refrigerator and bake it in a 350° oven, covered, for 20-25 minutes.
- You can also microwave them until heated through.
Calories: 664kcal, Carbohydrates: 45g, Protein: 12g, Fat: 48g, Saturated Fat: 22g, Cholesterol: 92mg, Sodium: 971mg, Potassium: 799mg, Fiber: 3g, Sugar: 4g, Vitamin A: 1060IU, Vitamin C: 16.3mg, Calcium: 294mg, Iron: 1.3mg