Turkey Shepherd's Pie
Juicy turkey tossed with a medley of vegetables and gravy. All topped with cheesy mashed potatoes and baked to golden perfection.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ¾ cup onions, diced
- 1/3 cup celery, diced
- 1/3 cup carrots, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced (about 1-1.5 teaspoons jarred minced garlic)
- 2 ½ cups diced turkey meat, leftover from Thanksgiving, or from a rotisserie
- ¼ cup green beans, can sub peas
- 1/3 cup corn
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup gravy, You can use packet of McCormick’s Turkey Gravy mixed with + cup cold water
- 2 cups mashed potatoes, about 4 medium potatoes needed for this
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
Add the onions, celery, and carrots. Cook uncovered, until the onions are soft and translucent. About 7 minutes.
Add the minced garlic and cook for an additional minute.
Add the turkey, corn, and green beans (or peas) in addition to the salt, pepper, and thyme.
Gently stir in the gravy: If preparing a packet of gravy, cook that separately according to package instructions. Once thickened, add it to the skillet.
Once the mixture is heated through, pour it into a one-quart casserole dish, spreading it into one even layer.
If using leftover mashed potatoes, heat them a bit to make it easy to stir and spread. Add half of the cheese to the potatoes and stir to combine.
Spread the potatoes in an even layer over turkey mixture and top with the remaining cheese.
Heat in the oven for 30 minutes, uncovered. Serve warm, and enjoy!
Calories: 416kcal, Carbohydrates: 35g, Protein: 25g, Fat: 19g, Saturated Fat: 11g, Cholesterol: 94mg, Sodium: 612mg, Potassium: 638mg, Fiber: 3g, Sugar: 4g, Vitamin A: 2395IU, Vitamin C: 29.2mg, Calcium: 235mg, Iron: 1.4mg