Crock Pot Mississippi Pot Roast
This easy Mississippi Pot Roast Recipe will quickly become your favorite Crock Pot meal! It only requires 4 ingredients and you can make an easy brown gravy at the end!
Melt the butter on the bottom of the crock pot and and mix in the Au Jus and Ranch Dressing Mix. Add the pepperoncini peppers and Pot Roast (no need to salt the pot roast prior). Add the baby carrots.
Cook on low for 8-10 hours, or on high for 4-5. It will be very tender when it's ready and easily break apart.
Use tongs or two large spoons/spatulas to remove the beef and set aside on a plate. Use a slotted spoon to remove the carrots, place them on a serving plate with the pot roast.
If you have enough juice at the bottom of the crock pot for some gravy, (I always do), turn the crock pot on high.
Mix the cornstarch with 4 Tablespoons of pot roast juice and slowly pour some of it back into the crock pot, whisking constantly. Give it time to thicken before you add more, otherwise it will become too thick (if it does, you can thin it with beef or chicken stock). You likely will not need to use all of it.
Once it's near your desired level of thickness, remove it from the heat. It will thicken a little bit more upon standing.
-The best cuts of roast for this recipe:
-The Ranch mix and Au Jus mix don't need to be prepared/mixed with anything prior to adding to the crock pot, only the contents of the packet itself is added.
-Pepperoncini peppers don't add heat, just flavor!
- Chuck roasts
- Rump roasts
- Bottom rounds.
Making Mississippi Pot Roast in the Oven
- Mississippi Pot Roast can be cooked at 225° for 7-8 hours in the oven and you'll have very similar results as with the Crock Pot. A 6 quart dutch oven would be best as dutch ovens conduct heat very well.
- For a quicker turnaround time, wrap the roast in foil and place in a dutch oven with the lid on. Bake at 350° for 3-4 hours.
Instant Pot Mississippi Pot Roast
*Browning the meat first is optional, but it does improve the texture and flavor of the meat.
- Turn the Instant Pot to Saute Mode. Brown the roast in 3 Tablespoons of vegetable oil for full 5 minutes on each side.
- Deglaze the pan with 1 cup of beef broth or water. Scrape the bottom clean with a silicone spatula.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Set the Instant Pot to Meat mode and cook for 45 minutes.
- Let the pressure release naturally for 5-10 minutes, then flip the quick release valve.
- Remove the roast to a plate and cover with foil to keep it warm.
- Set the Instant Pot to Sautee mode and make gravy as noted in recipe instructions if desired.
Calories: 542kcal, Carbohydrates: 10g, Protein: 75g, Fat: 17g, Saturated Fat: 6g, Cholesterol: 221mg, Sodium: 399mg, Potassium: 1319mg, Fiber: 2g, Sugar: 3g, Vitamin A: 8875IU, Vitamin C: 14.1mg, Calcium: 72mg, Iron: 7.5mg