One Pot Meaty Cheesy Tortellini
I can’t say enough good things about one pot meals, and this one is no exception. It’s meaty, it’s cheesy, and it’s doused in a savory red sauce. (Did you just drool a little too?) The hubs has been out plowing alllll day long, we just keep getting nailed with more and more snow. (The bushes in the front disappeared a long time ago. Soon we’ll have to dig a tunnel to get inside the house.) So this meal is waiting for him when he gets back. It’s packed with all of his favorite things:
Beef, sausage, a creamy red sauce, cheese, and his favorite spice: basil.
And to top it all off? A side of homemade Ciabatta bread. Is that a way to come home, or is that a way to come home? You could easily make this in the crock pot too, it’s a very similar process. Simply brown the meat & prepare the sauce the same way, heating it on low for 6-8 hours, and toss in the Tortellini about 20 minutes before you’re ready to eat.
I also love the versatility of this dish.
You can add mushrooms, onions, spinach, a splash of Cabernet Sauvignon…
…whatever you feel like! Which is handy when you’re snowed in like me 😀 How do you survive the winter? Or do you even need to survive it? Maybe you live where it’s nice and warm… ah… what a concept…
- ½ pound ground beef
- ½ pound Italian Sausage, Casings removed
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 (24 oz.) jar marinara sauce
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can Italian diced tomatoes, undrained
- ½ green bell pepper, diced
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 (9oz.) package frozen or refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1.5 cups shredded cheese, (cheddar, mozzarella, or both)
- In a large pot, brown the meat and drain any excess liquid.
- Add the oregano to the meat and mix. Add everything else except for the tortellini and let it all simmer, covered, until heated through. *Make sure the cream cheese is a room temp, otherwise it won't dissolve well into the sauce.
- About 15-20 minutes before you’re ready to eat, place the tortellini on top and cover, letting the steam cook the pasta.
- Gently mix the tortellini into the sauce and top with basil & cheese. Cover until the cheese is melted, then serve!
*This post may contain affiliate links