These firecracker chicken wraps are filled with shredded chicken tossed in a tangy firecracker sauce and served in a crunchy tortilla with Ranch dipping sauce.
I have to say, I’m getting prrrrretty good at nailing restaurant copycat recipes nowadays. I’ve mastered famous steak rubs, salad dressings, rolls, you name it. So I was pretty confident going into this firecracker chicken wrap recipe, inspired by one of my favorite restaurant chains, The Longshorn Steakhouse.
Now here’s how you know I’m an honest person. These firecracker chicken wraps right here…they taste nothing like the ones from Longhorn. Whoops.
But I can honestly say, that these are equally good. This firecracker sauce is totally addicting and it’s a happy accident that I ended up failing at my attempt to copy The Longhorn’s version. I especially love putting this chicken in a lettuce wrap when I’m in need of a healthier spin.
What else can you do with Firecracker Chicken?
Believe it or not, this makes an incredible pizza topping with some blue cheese or ranch dressing drizzled on top. It’s similar to buffalo chicken pizza, but with more tang. I cook a bunch of chicken ahead of time, bag up smaller portion sizes, and pop it in the freezer until I’m ready to make pizza. Then I just grab some Naan bread, (which I also store in the freezer- it makes the best pizza crust and you don’t have to worry about dough), and boom. Dinner’s done.
Check out my other recipes!
Firecracker Chicken Wraps
- 2 large boneless/skinless chicken breasts
- Salt/pepper, to taste
- 1 cup flour, Optional, omit for a healthier option
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup buffalo sauce
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon chili powder, optional
- 8 6-inch flour tortillas
- ¾ cup vegetable or canola oil
- 1 cup Mexican cheese, Cheddar or pepper jack also work
- ½ cup ranch dressing
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces and season with salt/pepper as desired.
- Place the flour in a zip lock bag and drop the chicken pieces into it. Seal the bag and shake to coat.
- Heat 4 tablespoons of oil over medium and heat and cook the floured chicken for a few minutes on each side.
- Mix firecracker sauce ingredients together in a large bowl. Remove chicken from the skillet and drop into the bowl, mixing around to coat thoroughly.
- Place the chicken and sauce in a baking dish (the size is not important, just large enough to hold the chicken) and cook, covered, for 30 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and use two forks to shred it. Mix in the cheese.
- Remove and roll the tortillas from the package one at a time to prevent them from drying out, which causes them to crack when folder.
- Scoop 2-3 tablespoons into the middle of each tortilla. Roll tightly and brush with a little vegetable oil at the seam. Repeat for all tortillas and place them on a large plate, seal side down.
- Place the wraps in the microwave for about 15-30 seconds, this helps the seal to stick.
- Heat ¾ cup of oil in a skillet and fry each tortilla until the bottom begins to turn light brown, then flip and repeat
- Remove from skillet, slice each tortilla in half, and serve with ranch dressing!