Egg Drop Soup
Make authentic Egg Drop Soup with just a few simple ingredients in less than 30 minutes! You won’t believe how easy this recipe is!
Be sure to try my Wonton Soup recipe next!
Yeah. This recipe makes enough for four people and I ate almost the entire thing. 🙈 I had just made homemade chicken stock the night before and this soup was absolutely calling my name.
What is Egg Drop Soup?
Egg drop soup is made by whisking eggs and drizzling them into a simple homemade broth on the stove-top as you stir the broth. Seasoning the eggs with toasted sesame oil and a pinch of salt and pepper enhances the flavor.
The broth itself is a simple combination of chicken broth, soy sauce, ginger, and an optional addition of oyster sauce, spinach, a sliced hard-boil egg, and diced green onions.
Spinach in Egg Drop Soup
Spinach is not a necessary ingredient in egg drop soup, but it does add color, texture, and flavor.
Bok Choy, (Asian Cabbage), would also make a fine addition to this soup instead of the spinach.
Tofu in Egg Drop Soup
Tofu makes an excellent addition to egg drop soup and adds additional protein to the meal. Simply add it at the same time as the spinach and allow it time to heat up!
Using Homemade Chicken Stock
Whenever you make homemade soup, I highly suggest using homemade chicken stock. I promise, your cooking will taste ten times better. This especially goes for basic, simple soups like this one!
Remember that you can always freeze leftover chicken carcass/meat and make chicken stock on a day when you have time! No defrosting necessary!
Try These Next!
- Copycat Panda Express Chow Mein
- Crispy Crab Rangoon
- Sweet Cream Cheese Wontons
- Split Pea Soup
- Lentil Soup
- Turkey and White Bean Spinach Soup
- Join my free email list! You’ll get just one email a week with my latest recipes!
- Plus, follow me on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest. I love connecting with you guys. 😊
Egg Drop Soup
- 6 cups chicken broth, preferably homemade
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 Tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons oyster sauce
- 3 eggs, whisked
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 cups spinach
- 2 hard-boiled eggs*, see notes
- ½ cup green onions, diced
- Heat the chicken broth in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the ground ginger, soy sauce, and oyster sauce.
- Add the sesame oil to the whisked eggs along with a pinch of salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Stir the chicken broth and slowly pour in the whisked eggs. Continue to stir for a few minutes as the eggs cook.
- Stir in the spinach and heat for one additional minute.
- Spoon the soup into serving bowls. Cut each hard-boiled egg in half and top each bowl with one along with green onions. Serve and enjoy!