Denver Omelette Egg Bake
This Denver Omelette Egg Bake is loaded with ham, bell peppers, onions and cheese mixed with fluffy eggs and ready in 30 minutes from start to finish!
Try my Overnight Everything Bagel Casserole recipe next!
I think egg bakes are one of the best inventions in the world. You can grab whatever you have in your fridge, toss it in the casserole dish with those delicious eggs, and be done with it. I mean, the bell pepper/onion/ham/cheese combo is delicious, and a great way to use up leftover ham too, but almost anything works well in an egg bake. Now, did you know this?
The Denver Omelette started as a sandwich.
- Yup. It was basically the same combination of ingredients but served in between two slices of bread, and eaten on the go. Eventually, people started ordering it for breakfast and it was served as an omelette.
- The origination of the Denver sandwich is still a bit unknown. Some say that Chinese rail workers started it by putting egg foo young on bread. Others say that Chefs would try to disguise the taste of rotting eggs with meat and vegetables. (I like the first theory better. Let’s go with that.)
Alright, that’s enough, our history lesson has concluded.
I do enjoy how easy this egg bake is, and the fact that it only takes 30 minutes from beginning to end. That’s pretty slick. Especially if you’re serving this for a group of hungry people. You don’t want people getting hangry on you now.
By the way, speaking of breakfast, I think these French toast sausage roll-ups might be my favorite breakfast creation ever.
Check out my other breakfast recipes! 🍳
- Copycat Cracker Barrel Hashbrown Casserole
- Ham and Cheese Quiche (Make Ahead & Freezer Friendly!)
- Copycat IHOP Buttermilk Pancakes
- French Toast Sausage Roll-ups
- French Toast Egg in a Hole
- More Breakfast
PS: If you love breakfast, (and food in general) as much as I do, you’re gonna wanna follow me on Facebook. (And Pinterest. And Instagram. Oh, and you’ve gotta join my free e-mail list.)- We’ll just talk about food all day, every day. Sounds reasonable.
Denver Omelette Egg Bake
- 8 eggs
- ½ cup half and half
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup cooked ham, diced (can substitute cooked bacon or sausage)
- ½ cup onion, diced
- 3/4 cup bell pepper, diced (I used red and green)
- Salt/Pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup diced green onion, to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Whisk the eggs and half & half together in a large bowl.
- Mix in the other ingredients, including desired amount of salt and pepper.
- Pour the egg mixture in a greased 9x9 inch pan and bake for 25 minutes or until the top is starting to turn light brown.
- Garnish with sliced green onions for some additional color & flavor, and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from: The Recipe Critic