Chocolate Mousse Pudding
A delicious combination of chocolate mousse and pudding.
Try my No Bake Peanut Butter Pie next!
This mousse pudding is too good not to share. Let me start out by saying that technically, this is a recipe for mousse (not pudding) that I got from ‘Cooking Basics for Dummies’ (hey, it’s got some good stuff in it!) But Ifound the consistency to be different than I was expecting.
It wasn’t SUPER SUPER fluffy, but it was somewhat fluffy. I decided to call it mousse pudding, which worked out REALLY well because I wanted mousse and Mark wanted pudding…(ahem, note how I went for the mousse recipe, I say the cook gets to call the shots!)
A delicious combination of chocolate mousse and pudding!
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate which equals about 1 1/3 cup
- 6 large eggs separated
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 cups heavy cream chilled
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- Whipped cream or chocolate chips for garnish
- Place a medium bowl in the refrigerator, we’ll need a chilled bowl later!
- Chop the chocolate coarsely with a knife. Place the chocolate pieces in a saucepan and set it over another pot holding simmering water. Cover the pot containing the chocolate.
- Meanwhile, put the egg yolks in a saucepan and add the water. Place the saucepan over very low heat while whisking vigorously. When the yolks thicken slightly, remove the saucepan from the heat.
- Check the chocolate. When it is melted, stir well with a whisk. Add the melted chocolate to the egg mixture and blend thoroughly. Scrape the mixture into a large mixing bowl.
- With a hand-held electric mixer, beat the cream in a chilled bowl until it forms soft peaks, adding 2 tablespoons of the sugar toward the end. Fold this into the chocolate mixture.
- Wash and dry both the bowl and the mixer thoroughly to remove cream before proceeding.
- Using the electric mixer, beat the egg whites in the clean bowl until they form soft peaks. Beat in the remaining 4 tablespoons of sugar and continue beating until the egg whites form stiff peaks. Fold this into the chocolate mixture.
- Spoon the mousse pudding into a serving bowl and chill thoroughly before serving. Add your garnish of choice, and enjoy!