Chinese Chicken Noodle Soup
This hearty, homemade Chinese Chicken Noodle Soup is loaded with flavorful seared chicken, savory noodles, bok choy, and a hard boiled egg with a sprinkling of green onions. A kicked-up version of classic chicken noodle soup!
Try my Copycat Panda Express Chow Mein recipe next!
Soup, is seriously my favorite thing in the world. (Honestly. It’s the second thing that I mention about myself after my love for cheese. Because cheese is pretty important.
But sometimes, even I need a little break from cheesy deliciousness, which is when I turn to recipes like this Chinese Chicken Noodle Soup. It’s loaded with protein and the Asian flavors in this soup really blend together perfectly. My biggest tip when making this soup, is to really sear that chicken well.
Using Homemade Chicken Stock
Whenever you make homemade soup, I highly suggest using homemade chicken stock. I promise, your cooking will taste ten times better.
Remember that you can always freeze leftover chicken carcass/meat and make chicken stock on a day when you have time! No defrosting necessary!
Pan Seared Chicken:
Getting a good sear on that chicken is the first step in the process, which happens over fairly high heat and works best if you don’t move the chicken around as it cooks, just let the chicken absorb the heat from the pan until it reaches a golden brown color.
This process also leaves chicken sediments on the bottom of the pot, the very same pot we cook the soup in. It gives the broth insanely good flavor.
Searing chicken and using the same pan for the rest of the meal is the best way to obtain ultimate flavor in tons of dishes, not just soup!
Try These Next!
- Crispy Crab Rangoon
- Egg Drop Soup
- Wonton Soup
- Sweet Cream Cheese Wontons
- Turkey and White Bean Spinach Soup
- Join my free email list! You’ll get just one email a week with my latest recipes!
- Plus, follow me on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest. I love connecting with you guys. 😊
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into thin strips
- Salt/Pepper to taste
- 4 cups chicken broth low sodium if preferred
- 1 Tablespoon Oyster Sauce
- 2 Tablespoons soy sauce low sodium if preferred, light or dark is fine!
- 3-4 ounces Asian noodles of choice*
- 4 leaves Bok Choy (Asian Cabbage), sliced into strips
- 3 green onions diced
- 4 hard boiled eggs
- In a large soup pot, heat the olive oil over medium high heat.
- Season the chicken strips with desired amounts of salt/pepper and add it to the heated pot. Sear the strips on each side until they reach a nice, golden-brown color, about 5 minutes on each side. Try not to touch them too much as they cook in order to sear them properly.
- Once the chicken strips are nice and brown on each side, remove them from the pot. You will notice brown specs at the bottom of the soup pot, this will give the soup excellent flavor!
- Reduce the heat to medium and add in the chicken broth, (preferably homemade), oyster sauce, and soy sauce.
- Bring the soup to a boil and cook the noodles according to package instructions. Once the pasta is nearly done, reduce the heat to medium low and add the chicken back in, along with the Bok Choy and green onions. Simmer for 1-2 minutes, then remove from heat.
- Spoon the soup into 4 serving bowls and top each with a hard boiled egg!