Chicken Parmesan Meatballs with Spinach
Sooo, I have a weeeeeee little bit of a meatball problem. In addition to having a couple more meatball recipes on this blog than I should, this is actually my second chicken parmesan meatball recipe. Oops. But THIS one, has spinach in it, and is constructed just like chicken parmesan itself- with that mouth-watering breading on the outside…. *drool*. It’s basically like bite-sized chicken parm. Amazeballs. Pair it with spaghetti and you’re in Italian heaven.
These meatballs freeze really well- and whenever you’re ready for an Italian feast, simply plop them into some spaghetti sauce on the stove and heat ‘em up! Or you can always defrost them in the fridge and give them another round in the oven as well. They also make the perfect sub sandwich!
The spinach can of course be omitted, as can the onions if you choose- meatballs are easy to experiment with 😉
- 1 lb. boneless chicken breast, cubed
- 2 cloves garlic
- ½ small yellow onion
- ¾ cup fresh spinach, diced
- ¾ cup flour
- 2 eggs, whisked
- ¾ cup Italian breadcrumbs
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ½ tomato sauce
- ¾ grated mozzarella cheese
- Combine the chicken breast, garlic and onions in a food processor until well-blended.
- Work the diced spinach into the mixture with your hands or a spoon.
- Roll the chicken mixture into meatballs about an inch thick and dip each ball into flour, then the whisked egg, and then the breadcrumbs.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat the oil in an oven-safe frying pan over medium heat and cook the meatballs on each side until light brown, about 5 minutes on each side.
- Drain the oil from the pan and top the meatballs with tomato sauce and mozzarella cheese. Place in the oven for about 15-20 minutes, until the cheese is hot and melted.
- Top the meatballs with an additional sprinkling of spinach or parsley, (optional) & serve plain, in a sandwich, or over pasta!
*This post may contain affiliate links