Chicken and Spinach Pinwheels
These were DELICIOUS!!!! Even better than I expected. I prepared the filling the day before I made them, so that when I was ready to actually serve them, I simply had to unroll some Pillsbury crescent rolls, scoop out the filling and bake it for 13 minutes! Doesn’t get much easier than that. This filling was AWESOME… but you can certainly customize it to be filled with anything you want! This particular recipe includes chicken, bacon, spinach, onions, asiago cheese, and some ranch dressing (or mayo, if you’re so inclined). I was very happy with the results. Also, when I rolled it all up and sliced it, it did NOT look perfect. But it all evened out when it cooked and you couldn’t even see the (many) imperfections that existed when plopped it in the oven, which was AWESOME. Mark wanted to grab one before I even PUT it in the oven –sheesh! I think not mister! Well he almost fell over when he DID get to eat them, after they were actually cooked. He REALLY liked them. I say that about everything, (because of course, if he hated it, do you think I’d throw it on my blog? )…but this one seemed to be EXTRA special. So I’ll certainly be making these again. What ingredients would you use?! Feta and Spinach are calling my name for next time I think…
These were DELICIOUS!!!! Even better than I expected. I prepared the filling the day before I made them, so that when I was ready to actually serve them, I simply had to unroll some Pillsbury crescent rolls, scoop out the filling and bake it for 13 minutes! Doesn’t get much easier than that.
- 9 oz. frozen chopped spinach (I used 2 cups fresh spinach and steamed it!)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic finely chopped (I used 1 tablespoon minced garlic)
- 2 slices bacon crisply cooked, crumbled
- 1/2 cup finely chopped cooked chicken
- 3/4 cup shredded Asiago cheese
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise or salad dressing I used 2 tablespoons ranch dressing
- 8 oz. Pillsbury crescent rolls
- 1 large egg beaten
- Heat oven to 375°F. Spray cookie sheet with cooking spray. Cook spinach in microwave as directed on box. Drain spinach in strainer; cool 5 minutes. Carefully squeeze with paper towel to drain well.
- In 10-inch skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook 2 to 3 minutes, stirring occasionally, until crisp-tender. Remove from heat. Stir in spinach, bacon, chicken, cheese and mayonnaise.
- Unroll dough on work surface. Press the seams of the crescent rolls together firmly together.
- Spread spinach mixture on rectangle to within 1/2 inch of edges.
- Starting at long side of rectangle, roll up; seal long edge. Cut into 20 slices.
- Place cut side down on cookie sheet. Brush with egg.
- Bake 10 to 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from cookie sheet. Serve warm. (Soooo…? DELICIOUS, RIGHT!?!?)